Ubuntu 7.04/ 7.10 / 8.04/ 8.10 - After Installation Tips.

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Frank Lion

Ubuntu 7.04/ 7.10 / 8.04/ 8.10 - After Installation Tips.

Post by Frank Lion »

Following on from this thread viewtopic.php?t=564340 here is a thread for existing Ubuntu/Kubuntu users to give tips on stuff, that they think may come in useful. Sort of like a miniature Knowledge Base, for other stuff then just go to the Ubuntu forums.

Obviously, this sort of thread isn't going to suit those pathetic Linux fanbois who like to pretend that nothing ever goes wrong, but in reality, sometimes it does and hopefully this sort of info here, will make it much easier to get past any early hurdles you may have.

1. Make full use of the Synaptic Package Manager (Adept in Kubuntu)

Packages are not only programs. They are also additional stuff, like codecs, themes, plugins, etc. You want the Adobe Flash plugin? the first place you go to is your Package Manager and use Search. Makes life so much easier, normally no need to do symlinks, etc, etc.

2. Try to leave xorg.conf and other files alone.

Not to be taken literally, but just be aware that the innocent looking xorg.conf file, has the ability to leave your life in ruins, if you so much as look at it. If you are coming from Windows, think System32 type stuff and you'll get the drift. The fstab is another, nowhere near as bad, just very tiresome.

Be very wary of any old Linux user who starts by saying, 'Oh yes, just edit your xorg.conf with...'

3. Recovery Mode.

a. Reboot.

b. Hit Esc key as Grub (the black and white stuff) loads.

c. Select the most recent kernel recovery mode.

d. Push out a few zzzz's until it gets to the root command line.

4. Use the cp command to back up files.

Please note : for this example we are using the xorg.conf file, but the following principle applies to any files.

- using a known good xorg.conf, back it up by opening Terminal (Konsole) and entering

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

Enter your username password. You're done.

Restoring that backup using cp.

In Terminal, enter

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak /etc/X11/xorg.conf

5. Recovery Mode - restoring a backup.

Please note : for this example we are using the xorg.conf file, but the following principle applies to any files.

At the command line in recovery mode (see #3 above) enter -

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Type - exit

6. Recovery mode - using nano.

Note : Only to be used if you know exactly what to edit!

Let's say that you ignored #2 and are now reading this in Windows, because you have totally messed up your Ubuntu by editing xorg.conf, despite following things to the letter and now see a black screen, where you would like to see a 'Login' screen. Will you ever see your beloved Ubuntu/Kubuntu ever again? ....No...haha...just kidding. :P

a. At the command line in recovery mode (see #3 above) enter -

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

b. Edit the file

c. Enter Ctl+o to save your changes.

d. Enter Ctl+x to quit.

e. Type exit

f. Fall to knees and praise your God of choice, as your Login screen appears again.

Note : With the entries above, you can just copy and paste them into Terminal. But please do remember that the way the stuff is laid out, with the spaces, etc (syntax) is not there for laughs. As with any other code stuff, get the syntax wrong and...the stuff won't work. :)

Here's one from tqft ...

tqft wrote:Learn wget

Want to download something and leave it running, resume downloading after you have broken your connection/rebooted your machine - at the command line wget -c <URL>

There are gui's for wget - search Synaptic/Adept for wget a really quick search shows up gwget.

Want to download everything under a certain directory on a website - wget -cr (gwget also has options you can choose to do this).

Great for iso's - that way you can crash your browser and not have to worry, restart your machine and start it up again from where you left off.

Title edited (again) to reflect new release... It reverted following system crash... Steviex, Moderator
Last edited by Frank Lion on November 5th, 2008, 8:14 am, edited 8 times in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Here is a Firefox related one. You know when you go to your profile's extension folder? full of folders named with their GUIDs? Normally, the best way to find out which extensions/themes these relate to, is to search the extensions.rdf in the main profile.

Konqueror (and I bet, Navigator) ...extensions folder...View in File Size View. Shows you the extension names inside those folders.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
earther

Post by earther »

Feedback on #2 . . . not a black screen but . . .

There was no option to change the screen resolution to 1152 x 864 in Preferences - the highest available was 1024 x 768. I was guided through resetting the options via terminal (and a BIOS-like gui) but the changes wouldn't stick. So the techie helping me burned an nVidia driver to a cd (along with some dialup unfriendly stuff for installation) and gave me these commands to run:

cd /media/cdrom/debs
sudo dpkg -i ./nvidia-glx*
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

After doing that, I got to the gui again, ticked the resolution I wanted available and rebooted. Uh oh . . . deep doo-doo. The screen is now displaying some weird vertically stretched resolution that cuts off the taskbar so I can't get to anything. I tried resetting the screen and raising the display vertically but no joy. No resolution is indicated on the Samsung monitor adjustment menu - it usually shows refresh rates, resolution etc. (but I can't change it from there).

How can I fix this??! My techie won't be available till tomorrow and I want Ubuntu back!!!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

earther wrote:Feedback on #2 . . . not a black screen but . . .

How can I fix this??! My techie won't be available till tomorrow and I want Ubuntu back!!!

OK... try this, as the quickest way to get you back. Reconsider your next steps after that.

Do #3, when you get to f. look through and find the bit that says Devices. Underneath it will say your NVidia card spec. Just underneath that it wil say driver : nvidia (this was changed by using the nvidia-glx stuff) Change nvidia to nv. You may also find a reference to driver : nvidia further down. If so, change that to nv as well. Change no other entries. That driver : nv is the default Ubuntu entry in xorg.conf for anyone with a Nvidia card. Your new stuff changed it.

Complete the rest of #3. You should then be able to fall to knees. :)
earther

Post by earther »

OK, I think I can handle that. Off to give it a try and hoping it doesn't explode!!
earther

Post by earther »

I hit escape but nothing happened. I think I remember seeing recovery mode stuff during the install (which I would now need to choose, right?) but the techie who helped me set things up truncated the menu by editing that out. So before I can nano, I have to get the recovery mode to display right? Ah, the joys of Linux . . .
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

earther wrote: So before I can nano, I have to get the recovery mode to display right?

Yep.

It can still be sorted, by using utilities like Super Disc Grub (which I have never had to use) or using a Live CD...I've only ever had to use these for pulling files out, not for this stuff. So, I am not able to advise you further.

You now have two options (well, three, if you include punching your techie in the face :))

1. Search and ask on the Ubuntu forums.

2. Wait and get your techie to sort it out.

I'd advise the latter. Still, at least we tried, eh? :)
earther

Post by earther »

I have really appreciated your input even if we hit a brick wall. I will definitely remember nano! Tomorrow morning is a mere 12 hours away and quite a few of those I will be unconscious anyway. I'll report back when it gets sorted.
tqft

Post by tqft »

The great X

Another way rather then editing xorg.conf to get a workable system

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and go through the options - set display to vga (basic default) if you just want a basic system you can surf for a proper answer with - from the command line in rescue/single user mode if that is all you have.

Or use the command above to try different options (rebooting after every change) until you are happy. editing xorg.conf is only good if you know what to change.
RAF

Post by RAF »

I don't speak Ubuntu, so I wouldn't know but if this thread needs to be stickyfied for a few days/weeks, let me know.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

earther wrote:I have really appreciated your input even if we hit a brick wall. I will definitely remember nano!

No problem at all. :)

I reckon that knowing about the existence of the recovery mode with it's access to root is pretty vital and seeing as how we already had most of the stuff written out above, seemed like a pretty easy way to go.

Unlike Windows, it seems like the only time Ubuntu/Kubuntu plays up is if you fiddle about with it. So you may well never need the recovery mode, but when you do...

Your own case was a bit rare, i.e. no access to the taskbar. After your first attempt above, we could have right clicked on Desktop, selected Run Command, entered the word Terminal (Konsole) and brought up a Terminal shell like that. However, I was tired by then and had drifted into 'full blackscreen mode' and, er, forgot you could get to your Desktop, haha. But I know how daunting this stuff is when you first start and as your techie was coming anyway, I would have left it there anyway.

tqft makes a very good point above and it's worth noting that not only are there often a few good ways of doing things, but also that most of us (unless really geeky) just sort of know the ones that work for us. For example, I didn't know half of tqft's wget stuff.

Now, I know that we have some very experienced Linux/Ubuntu/Kubuntu etc users here, who know a damn sight more about this stuff than I do. So...I look forward to their tips, in the near future. :)

@RAF Thanks, I'll leave that for other people to decide. :)

@OldFart ...so long as it's not about your damn webcam, feel free to ask any support questions on this thread. :P
old Ol Grumpy

Post by old Ol Grumpy »

...and for folks who hate to read, change your ways.
Pretty near everything is covered in the Help for Ubuntu/ Kubuntu / Edbunto which comes with the disk.
Including recovery. Keep in mind if you print out the recovery information you'll have it when the computer is in text only mode due to loss of the GDM. (Graphic Display Manager) ... and you have to Nano your way to sanity.
There's also a pretty decent recovery setup which you should have in your boot list.
You can edit this in Grub or Lilo to be visible, you can use Gedit or Nano. Gedit doesn't work with a "failed" GDM and it's easier to fix with Gedit so do it before a failure.
steviex

Post by steviex »

Don't forget the sites that Ubuntu helpfully puts into the Bookmarks, in the Ubuntu packaged version of Firefox, under Ubuntu and Free Software links

And take Frank's advice about the xorg.config file... Keep a backup that works handy....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
frcan

Post by frcan »

Restore CTRL+ALT+Delete in Ubuntu to bring up system Monitor (Task Manager)

Just paste the command below into the terminal:

After that, Control-Alt-Delete should bring up the Gnome System Monitor window

Code:

gconftool-2 -t str --set /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/run_command_9 "<Control><Alt>Delete" && gconftool-2 -t str --set /apps/metacity/keybinding_commands/command_9 "gnome-system-monitor"

-----------------------------------------------------------

Program really locked up and you cannot even use the mouse

Use Ctl-Alt-Backspace

It restarts your gui and brings you back to the login screen

Hope this helps someone :)

Note: IMHO, yes this topic should be stickied :wink: