Unwanted ad blocking - how to stop it?

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
ptoye

Unwanted ad blocking - how to stop it?

Post by ptoye »

Some sites with graphics are coming up with [AD] instead of the pictures. I don't have adblock (or any other ad blocker) installed. I can understand why an ad blocker should think that a picture is an ad, but without one installed, why is it happening? And how do I stop it please?

The addons that are installed are: AI Roboform Toolbar, AVG Safe Search, AVG Security Toolbar, British English Dictionary, DOM inspector, Minimize to Tray enhancer, Minimize to Tray, NoScript, Talkback.
Peter

Re: Unwanted ad blocking - how to stop it?

Post by Guest »

Firewalls and internet security suites will filter content. Zone Alarm? Norton? etc.
ptoye

Post by ptoye »

Brilliant. Thanks. It's a new version of AVG firewall which has gone a bit OTT in its blocking. Now all I have to do is to find out how to get it to allow the images I want and block the rest. A bit of telepathic I/O is needed here I suspect.
Peter
steviex

Post by steviex »

Moving this to the Tech Forum, as this is a Firewall, rather than Firefox problem......
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
ptoye

Post by ptoye »

Thanks again. I'd be glad of any help, but as it's not a Mozilla problem I should maybe find an AVG forum instead. Or solve it myself.
Peter
condorito

Post by condorito »

"unwanted ad blocking" :shock: My logic circuits are maeLtiifng *puff*
So the maples formed a union, and demanded equal rights. The oaks are just too greedy, we will make them give us light.
ptoye

Post by ptoye »

Sorry to blow your circuits. Nothing that a well-applied soldering iron won't mend, I trust.

The problem is that AVG thinks (for some reason) that some genuine bits of graphics are ads. And the log file isn't much help.
Peter