neither GNOME nor KDE have window decorations

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
DouglasAWh

neither GNOME nor KDE have window decorations

Post by DouglasAWh »

I'm not getting a lot of help over at Ubuntu Forums, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost5678486 so I thought I'd post here for some fresh perspective.

My window decorations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_decoration) in GNOME and KDE are both broken. They were broken in GNOME so I installed KDE and they worked initially but then broke. I'm happy to reinstall, but I think compiz is probably going to cause the same problem since it did it in both window managers. I think compiz might change some settings that get left even after compiz is uninstalled (which I did both in GNOME and then in KDE). Things are working slightly more smoothly in KDE, but the decorations still aren't there. You can see what I am talking about with this issue at http://flickr.com/photos/dawhitfield/27 ... 1/sizes/l/ and http://flickr.com/photos/dawhitfield/28 ... 0/sizes/o/. I am getting some weird white space in KDE too (Twitux popups for instance), but it's not nearly as annoying as terminal being blanked out. If anything else would be helpful to post, please let me know. Thanks!

EDIT: I found http://bgoglin.livejournal.com/11253.html and tried it, but it didn't work.

EDIT2: So, I noticed I do have something installed they say not to have installed, but I don't want to uninstall compiz and apt won't let me do that.

Code: Select all

whitdoug@mainDesktop:~$ sudo apt-get remove compizconfig-backend-gconf
[sudo] password for whitdoug:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libqimageblitz4 compiz-fusion-plugins-main
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  compiz compiz-gnome compizconfig-backend-gconf
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 754kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.
kindofabuzz

Re: neither GNOME nor KDE have window decorations

Post by kindofabuzz »

have you tried

compiz --replace

If nothing is better after that, i'd reinstall compiz.
Collapse unwanted MozillaZine forum sections ** Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
DouglasAWh

Post by DouglasAWh »

metacity --replace is what I used and it worked! Now to get compiz working since I'll be able to fix this problem if it happens again.

EDIT: and compiz --replace actually makes the window decorations disappear again

EDIT2: just doing compiz in the terminal/ALT + F2 also makes the window decorations disappear.
Last edited by DouglasAWh on August 29th, 2008, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
FatJohn

Post by FatJohn »

So compiz(fusion) it is. Have you got the compizconfig-settings-manager package (what a lovely name) installed? There's a windows deco plugin. I believe these are the default settings.
kindofabuzz

Post by kindofabuzz »

DouglasAWh wrote:metacity --replace is what I used and it worked! Now to get compiz working since I'll be able to fix this problem if it happens again.

EDIT: and compiz --replace actually makes the window decorations disappear again

EDIT2: just doing compiz in the terminal/ALT + F2 also makes the window decorations disappear.

Try reinstalling everything. Also try Emerald to go along with Compiz.
Collapse unwanted MozillaZine forum sections ** Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
DouglasAWh

Post by DouglasAWh »

will nVidia and Xgl play nice together? Somewhere it was mentioned I should use Xgl, but I don't want to mess up my dual monitors.

whitdoug@mainDesktop:~$ compiz
Checking for Xgl: not present.
Detected PCI ID for VGA: 01:00.0 0300: 10de:0259 (rev a3) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
Checking for non power of two support: present.
Checking for Composite extension: present.
Comparing resolution (1280x1024
1680x1050) to maximum 3D texture size (4096
4096): [: 388: 4096: unexpected operator
[: 388: 4096: unexpected operator
Passed.
Checking for nVidia: present.
Checking for FBConfig: present.
Checking for Xgl: not present.
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Warn: No GLXFBConfig for depth 32
DouglasAWh

Post by DouglasAWh »

I see on Wikipedia that Aixgl has replace Xgl, but compiz still checks for Xgl. What should I do?
DouglasAWh

Post by DouglasAWh »

So, I upgraded my compiz using the LaunchPad repositories rather than Ubuntu's like in http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/07/2 ... n-release/, but this did not fix my issue. Anybody got any ideas?
kindofabuzz

Post by kindofabuzz »

Have you tried complete uninstall of compiz then reinstall it?
kindofabuzz

Post by kindofabuzz »

I just upgraded to 0.7.6 from ubuntu's 0.7.4 for the hell of it. After WM restart I had no decorations and I could not type into any applications. going back to 0.7.4 and Emerald.

edit: get on irc and go to #compiz on freenode. you could probably get more help there with your problem.
DouglasAWh

Post by DouglasAWh »

Seems I've been sitting on this post for a while.

This mostly fixed it: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/10/17 ... -titlebar/

Apparently nVidia cards are screwy. I was having some issues with KDE, but for the moment I'm not worrying with them and am just going to stick with GNOME. The one issue I am still having in GNOME is that I can't seem to get my second (right, widescreen) monitor to do the cube in compiz.