Reduced screen slider

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
nhenry

Reduced screen slider

Post by nhenry »

When I have Firefox open in less than full screen mode, there is often a slider at the bottom of the screen that allows me to move the view to see what might be cut off by the reduced screen size.
More and more, there is no slider in reduced window sized views.
I can imagine web sites saying “unless you display the adds, you can't look at the other stuff.”
I understand the primacy of big business in the American way of life. And, how abject servitude is frequently necessary.
Maybe it shows my age, but, I have often thought of Firefox as kind of a refuge for radical independence in the computer age.
So, I thought I'd ask: Do you know of any way to get the slider back, when a web page disables it?
Image[/img]

Image[/img]

I guess I can't even figure how to do images. ](*,)
lovemyfoxy

Re: Reduced screen slider

Post by lovemyfoxy »

The image you showed is fine.

That's the bottom scrollbar, and the size is usually controlled by Windows. Check:
rt-click Desktop>Properties>Appearance

I use OO too. Open Office Writer, 4th image, has a bottom one only if you make the window very small. What happens when you do that?

In FF, try turning off your theme and activate the default one.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
nhenry

Post by nhenry »

I am putting up two new images to try again to explain my problem.
The bottom scrollbar, (thank you, LoveMyFoxy) appears on some websites and not on others. So, I don't think the problem is my computer settings, or the browser.
I apologize that Open Office cluttered the previous pictures I posted and obscured the problem I was trying to illustrate.
Here are (2) two pictures of the same browser. A different tab is activated in each. The bottom scrollbar is present in one and not the other.
I can only think that it has something to do with some webpages employing code that disables the bottom scrollbar.
My question is have any of the addon virtuosos developed code that overrides that disabling code.

[img]http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm22 ... ar.jpg[img]

[img]http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm22 ... ar.jpg[img]
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

One shot is from here at Mozillazine. the bottom bar is there because Your window is smaller than the content...no blue sidebar. Do Ctrl - (control minus) until the bottom bar goes away...

I'm on a laptop with a small screen and poor vision (old eyes) and I zoom up (Ctrl +) to see better and zoom up til the whole right sidebar is off to the right and of course the bottom bar is there
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

In this pic
http://s297.photobucket.com/user/nelsh/ ... r.jpg.html
you have no bottom scrollbar, but an assortment of other items. I'm wondering if those are conflicting with the scrollbar. Are they part of your theme?

I would still like you to temporarily deactivate your theme and switch to the default, and tell me if all your bottom scrollbars are back.
I really doubt that some sites disable scrollbars. What would be their purpose? Just orneriness?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

nhenry wrote:When I have Firefox open in less than full screen mode, there is often a slider at the bottom of the screen that allows me to move the view to see what might be cut off by the reduced screen size
What happens in Safe Mode? - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)