does this crash your ff?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

Re: does this crash your ff?

Post by dfoulkes »

If you are crashing with those sites then it's probably because one of them, probably the first one, keeps loading up memory... I tested them in a clean profile and I killed it off when it hit 1.7 gig of mem ... and climbing...

BTW ... this is not a Firefox issues... it's all about the sites you visit... and if you are going to do real heavy surfing you need to get a really high-end system... and BTW ... what are the specs of your PC.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
firefoxuse

Post by firefoxuse »

my specs are 8GB RAM and Intel i3

you are telling me not to browse heavy websites??? that's not a solution!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No one is telling you that. dfoulkes was simply pointing out that the issue is not in Firefox but in the site you identified, correctly, as problematic. You have to decide if visiting that site is acceptable, given the likelihood of periodic crashes due to RAM hungry site coding.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Its the Nike site that is poorly coded and is running up memory like crazy. I killed the tab before I reached the point of an OOM crash.

Does not matter if you have 8 gig of RAM, Fx will only use ~3gig, but will usually crash at around 1.8gig +
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

firefoxuse wrote:my specs are 8GB RAM and Intel i3

you are telling me not to browse heavy websites??? that's not a solution!
As Dan stated ... "Read my lips" ... I did not say that at all.

Here is what we need ... and I requested some of this info in order to find out if your 'possible wild' use of a computer is causing you so many problems... as I requested on another thread... a list of your extensions and plugins... in addition to that... you've stated that you have a very 'heavy' number of tabs being used...etc, etc...how many? ... and do you have like... 10 plus vids all loading at the same time... you know? ..or do you load one at a time... we have to know what and how you use your system... then we can recommend stuff to you... and if you don't want to follow our recommendations then you are wasting your time here.. and a lot of our time too.

What I/we need to know is what does your system config. look like and by the numbers... how many tabs might you have open at the same time... we would like to know all of this so that we can understand why you have so many 'constant' problems .. because... remember... these are just PC's and not Google server farms... so there is a logical limit to what these things can do... and what can be expected of them... know what I mean?

As an example, I user over 39 'quality' extensions, I have only 4 plugins, I keep my tabs down to around 10 or less, I let only 1 vid load at a time, I maintain my whole system all the time... I've used this same profile since 2008 and I'll bet that I've had no more that 3 crashes in all those years... and if memory serves me right... 2 of those were from my uninstalled Norton product... You have way too many problems and you should not be having so many.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

TheVisitor wrote:Its the Nike site that is poorly coded and is running up memory like crazy. I killed the tab before I reached the point of an OOM crash.

Does not matter if you have 8 gig of RAM, Fx will only use ~3gig, but will usually crash at around 1.8gig +
I didn't spend a lot of time with those 3 sites...had to kill them pretty fast... I saw the first one playing clips and didn't really notice that the Nike site was causing the buildup... you'd think that a company like Nike would have some smarts when building sites.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

All of them will "load" if you have NoScript installed and leave some of the scripts blocked. Of course, then you don't get the whole "effect" of the site.
trolly

Post by trolly »

FWIW even Edge takes about 330 MB just to load the page from the first link and about 10% CPU to animate the images.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

I have animation turned off on my gecko browsers. So, I loaded the first two of the three links on Vivaldi that I just got a week ago. It took 15 seconds to load the first site with all animations and almost instant loading of the Nike site. My RAM usage went up by 6% from 32% to 38% and CPU held steady at 3%. Vivaldi said the first link loaded 152MB. I later loaded the Nike site on Fx and had trouble with Flash because it is correctly set on ASK and the site took a long time to ask me and then proceeded to load Flash when I allowed it and I have no vertical scrollbar on the Nike site so hard to navigate. I had no problems with Flash on Vivaldi because I can't safely control it (no ask available) and I had a vertical scrollbar on the Nike site.

I am on Windows 8.0 Pro and I also have Fx 43, Pale Moon 25.8.1 (x64) and Sea Monkey 2.40 running. Each of those browsers has around 50 tabs open. I usually can't manage to use more than 30% RAM unless I run a virtual machine and then RAM doesn't climb usually above 42%. I have 16GB RAM and and i7 3370 CPU with an mSata SSD 256GB C drive. The computer is 3.5 years old. 16GB RAM was mandatory...Dell has fewer and fewer choices when you configure a computer. If I were to purchase this same XPS desktop today it would come with 32GB RAM.

With only 8GB RAM and a weakish CPU try Vivaldi for heavy sites and just don't use it for other things. Use Fx as your default browser. Next computer get the very best you can possibly afford if you want to do a lot of heavy browsing or run virtual machines.
firefoxuse

Post by firefoxuse »

DanRaisch wrote:All of them will "load" if you have NoScript installed and leave some of the scripts blocked. Of course, then you don't get the whole "effect" of the site.
That NoScript is interesting. Will it notify me of scripts blocked and will it offer me the option to unblock them?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Yes, that's what it's for.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

He has 147 extensions...

I have a low-end older puter, Core2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, about 20 extensions. Each page, opened separately, then closed, loads fine. You have to know the limitations of your puter.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
firefoxuse

Post by firefoxuse »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:He has 147 extensions...

I have a low-end older puter, Core2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, about 20 extensions. Each page, opened separately, then closed, loads fine. You have to know the limitations of your puter.

well I have an i3, 8GB
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

firefoxuse wrote:
LoveMyFoxy wrote:He has 147 extensions...

well I have an i3, 8GB

OK, time to look at some crash-reports please.

In Address/URL bar enter: about:crashes
Right-click the top two or three most recent crashes and use: Copy Link Location...
Paste those links back here.