Why won't this page properly load in Fx?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Odin2

Why won't this page properly load in Fx?

Post by Odin2 »

http://www.canon-europe.com/support/con ... ror_codes/ operates by means of a search box, which is unusable on my computer in Fx, even in Fx's safe mode. It works fine in IE. What's the problem?
DanRaisch

Re: Why won't this page properly load in Fx?

Post by DanRaisch »

Doesn't seem to be a problem here.

If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks, Dan. I have not installed any non-default themes, and of course no extensions operated in safe mode. Do you still suggest the new profile route?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Yes. Since I can load it here with version 49 there may be something in your existing profile that has been modified by an extension so that, even though the extensions are disabled, the setting is causing this issue.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks again, Dan.

In deciding on my course of action, I've considered that I have only a very occasional need for the page in question. Rather than follow the procedures necessary to hunt down the cause of the problem and try to eliminate it, it's a better use of my time just to switch browsers when necessary. (I can do this easily with the Open With extension.) I was frankly hoping for an easier answer.

I'm grateful for your suggestion, but please consider the issue closed.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

It is to me astonishing that an extension could alter my use of Fx even after the extension is disabled and presumably after it's removed. Is this ability sanctioned by Mozilla? I think it certainly should not be.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Simply disabling the extension would not be expected to reset all options.

And it's likely not a matter of intentional action so much as it may be that the author of the extension just did not do a good job of programming the clean up of changed settings when the extension is removed. Plus it hasn't been confirmed here that removing any suspect extension would not resolve the problem with that site.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Might also be a case of "Block-itis" if any blocking is being done in Firefox settings ... most all of the Media is coming from a CDN with an URL of > http://i1.adis.ws/
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
therube

Post by therube »

It is to me astonishing that an extension could alter my use of Fx even after the extension is disabled and presumably after it's removed.
So is there a particular extension that you found that did this & is the cause of your issue, or are you just making a general statement?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Therube, the quoted statement is simply a response to DanRaisch's submission (his last one preceding my post from which you extracted the quote). I might note that according to that post of Dan's, it would be as likely that a removed extension would cause the problem as a disabled extension (even though his later post seems to contradict that conclusion).
therube

Post by therube »

An extension may make changes to your settings.
(Or an extension may make changes to setting that only affect it, IOW its own settings. Or it may do a combination of both.)

Disabling an extension, does that, disables the extension.
But disabling the extension may not necessarily revert any changes it may have made to your settings.
(These would be settings outside of those specific to the particular extension.)
Which Extension is it ????
I don't think he hasn't identified one.

For instance, say an extension disabled JavaScript (globally in the browser, by setting, javascript.enabled;false).
You then disable the extension, but the extension did not revert that change.
When you restart your browser, JavaScript will still be disabled.
You would have to realize that & manually enable it.

Now NoScript (extension) "blocks" JavaScript.
But NoScript does not alter the Preference value of javascript.enabled.
(In fact, it has to be left enabled, as true.)
If you disable NoScript & restart, NoScript is disabled.
JavaScript was never altered by NoScript, & so remains in whatever state it had always been (generally enabled).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

As a test, create a new, clean Profile.
Open canon-europe.com, & verify that its search works.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Odin2 wrote: please consider the issue closed.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Closed and locking

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6