FF53 messes up many things....

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
TDV

FF53 messes up many things....

Post by TDV »

I updated to FF53 on my Win7 and many symbols in my adress bar are still there, but no longer visible.
"Open menu" is gone, "downloads" is gone and "Zoom in and Zoom out", the cricle from update page, the x at the right side of every tab. All these still work, but are no longer visible.
Also, my Internet Download manager no longer works!

What is going on?

10 min later, I have downloaded and re-installed 52.0.2 and everything is back to normal.

The question remains, what is going on?
Cheekeh Munkeh

Re: FF53 messes up many things....

Post by Cheekeh Munkeh »

I've run into an issue with dragging and dropping .webloc/.url files.

Fx53 no longer properly names them using the page title, but the raw URL itself, often truncated.

I certainly hope this wasn't intentional, given the complex and non-descriptive formats modern URLs have versus simply the page's title that has worked fine for eons.

This would throw a big wrench into my workflow. Off to Bugzilla I go...
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

check comments on AMO concerning your used extension, some are broken.
TDV

Post by TDV »

What is an AMO?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

AMO = Addons Mozilla DOT Org. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
TDV

Post by TDV »

DanRaisch wrote:AMO = Addons Mozilla DOT Org. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
Thank you.
My problem is that I do eed the add-ons, what I do not need are the weekly "improvements".
Is there an old, stable and secure version of Ff? Like there is at FlashGet or at utorrent?
Aris

Post by Aris »

Switch to Firefox 52ESR for now. It will be updated till summer 2018 (Fx 52.1.x - 52.9.x) or maybe even longer.

Firefox 52.1 = Firefox 53 minus new features/changes from Fx 53 (keeping security fixes).
Firefox 52.2 = Firefox 54 minus new features/changes from Fx 53, 54 (keeping security fixes).
... you get the idea.
TDV

Post by TDV »

Aris wrote:Switch to Firefox 52ESR for now. It will be updated till summer 2018 (Fx 52.1.x - 52.9.x) or maybe even longer.

Firefox 52.1 = Firefox 53 minus new features/changes from Fx 53 (keeping security fixes).
Firefox 52.2 = Firefox 54 minus new features/changes from Fx 53, 54 (keeping security fixes).
... you get the idea.
Thank you, that I understand, but I do not understand enough to know if the so-called security uupdates are negligable or essential...

The "improvements" that no one wants and no one asked for probably are the ones interfering?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I do not understand enough to know if the so-called security uupdates are negligable or essential...
A) It's unlikely that any security update would qualify as "negligible".
B) If the ESR version includes the security updates but omits the improvements, it would seem to offer the best of both worlds for your purposes. Not sure why any questions exist at that point.
TDV

Post by TDV »

Aris wrote:Switch to Firefox 52ESR for now. It will be updated till summer 2018 (Fx 52.1.x - 52.9.x) or maybe even longer.

... you get the idea.

Thanks, just installed 52esr....
James

Post by James »

up till 52.8.0esr as there will be no more unless Mozilla extends it or have a odd Release for some reason.

The reason why the last 45 ESR update was 45.9.0esr (out when 53.0 was Released) and not 45.8.0esr was because 45.6.0esr was released when the odd 50.1.0 Release came out. The 45.6.0esr was scheduled to be released when 51.0 was.
TDV

Post by TDV »

Thank you, James

Is there any REAL information, (not from Mozilla) about the security issues they fix, and how serious they are, for "normal" users?
James

Post by James »

Any sites that list security fixes will make use of https://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/
TDV

Post by TDV »

Thank You James, that is what I was looking for...
TDV

Post by TDV »

Using ESR 52.1 has not solved my problem, several websites still will not show all. Some deny acces to forums (while other sides do not), some cannot start the live stream, (while other TV stations work without probelm) and they all tell me my Java plug in probably does not work.
In the add ons I found the Java Platform de-activated, but after activating it, there is still no improvement.
Ff has also deactivated another add-on. The Java deployment tollkit, and Ff does not allow me to activate it all.

I have now re-installed an older version of Ff, 46.0 and everything worked perfectly!

What does Ff46 do(and as matter opf fact even Ff51 did) that 53 no longer does, and how can I avoid this?

Thanks TDV