Netflix doesn't run in FF53 [MAC]

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
RobertJ

Netflix doesn't run in FF53 [MAC]

Post by RobertJ »

Haven't done this in a while but Netflix shows don't run in FF53. They do run in Safari.

Am I missing something?

EDIT: Just downloaded FF49 and that also doesn't work.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
RobertJ

Re: Netflix doesn't run in FF53 [MAC]

Post by RobertJ »

Tried with the latest version of SM and that also doesn't work.

RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Just tried with a blank profile in FF49 and it worked. Now need to figure out what is screwed up in my profile. PITA

RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Just tried with a blank profile in FF53.0.3 and it worked. Now need to figure out what is screwed up in my profile.

PITA

Any suggestions?

dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Any suggestions?
Have you tried any of the non-working Firefox profiles in safe-mode yet? ... maybe it's an extension messing with stuff.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

I know if I disable the Widevine Content Decryption Module plugin that Netflix stops working on my system. So, I would compare the installed plugins in your profiles.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

dfoulkes wrote: Have you tried any of the non-working Firefox profiles in safe-mode yet? ... maybe it's an extension messing with stuff.
No Joy.
MarkRH wrote:I know if I disable the Widevine Content Decryption Module plugin that Netflix stops working on my system. So, I would compare the installed plugins in your profiles.
Have it, latest version and set to always open.

dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

RobertJ wrote:.
Just tried with a blank profile in FF53.0.3 and it worked. Now need to figure out what is screwed up in my profile.

PITA

A new unaltered profile worked but in safe-mode did not? ... strange... because both profiles should have the same Plugins ...
RobertJ wrote:.
Tried with the latest version of SM and that also doesn't work.... and/or, did you just update either one?

I don't keep up with SM ... is the latest version the one you've been using?

...and I don't know about a MAC here but do you use any AV stuff?... if so, is it hard to run MAC in safe-mode to test this out?
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

It is something in the FF profile since it works with blank profile and not "normal" one. SM will not work since EME support in SM is not up to Netflix requirements.

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

dfoulkes wrote:A new unaltered profile worked but in safe-mode did not? ... strange... because both profiles should have the same Plugins ...
Indeed, but a profile in SafeMode uses the user set customisations and the new one does not.

Therefore it is a user set pref in prefs.js that is the problem, maybe. If you know what it is then you can correct/change it in about:config. Maybe that NPAPI Flash one that hit 52? - dunno, I'm out of touch on Fx stuff these days.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Frank Lion wrote:
dfoulkes wrote:A new unaltered profile worked but in safe-mode did not? ... strange... because both profiles should have the same Plugins ...
Indeed, but a profile in SafeMode uses the user set customisations and the new one does not.

Therefore it is a user set pref in prefs.js that is the problem, maybe. If you know what it is then you can correct/change it in about:config. Maybe that NPAPI Flash one that hit 52? - dunno, I'm out of touch on Fx stuff these days.

Thanks, I've had issues with prefs.js before and it is a pain to sort.

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

RobertJ wrote:Thanks, I've had issues with prefs.js before and it is a pain to sort.
This might be a red herring, but this is what I was thinking of - http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/03/forc ... pi-support

As for prefs.js - you can rename it with Firefox closed and a clean one gets created on restart and that tells you if you're in the right area. But, as for fixing, I've found it easier/quicker just to start afresh and keep the old one around for reference. Maybe other people have better track records on fixing that file than I do.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Frank Lion wrote: Indeed, but a profile in SafeMode uses the user set customisations and the new one does not.
Thanks... forgot about that part....this damn AGE animal that keeps after me is ... welll...getting me tired if not more :lol:
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Frank Lion wrote:
RobertJ wrote:Thanks, I've had issues with prefs.js before and it is a pain to sort.
This might be a red herring, but this is what I was thinking of - http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/03/forc ... pi-support

As for prefs.js - you can rename it with Firefox closed and a clean one gets created on restart and that tells you if you're in the right area. But, as for fixing, I've found it easier/quicker just to start afresh and keep the old one around for reference. Maybe other people have better track records on fixing that file than I do.
Thanks. That work around won't work on FF53 according to the link. Also since Netflix plays with a blank profile I assume it isn't needed.

I tried the prefs.js thing earlier and no joy. Since Netflix works in my blank profile I'll just use it. As time marches toward FF57 who knows what other issues will arrive, probably many.