My Mistake with Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Glenn FG

My Mistake with Firefox

Post by Glenn FG »

Pleae Help,

My Firefox Browser acquired an unwanted extension that took control over my homepage. I could not remove it so I completely deleted Firefox and all related files. I reinstalled Firefox but all bookmarks had also been deleted.
Can I reinstall these bookmarks?

Glenn
DanRaisch

Re: My Mistake with Firefox

Post by DanRaisch »

If you deleted the Firefox profile folder when you removed the program the bookmark files would have been included in that deletion process.

Do you have a back up of that profile from before the appearance of that problem?
Did you transfer bookmarks from another browser, such as from IE's Favorites?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

try "R-undelete Home"
http://www.r-undelete.com/Download.shtml

or EaseUS Data REecovery Wizard
http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizar ... ftware.htm

both free for home use. search for "places.sqlite" or (\bookmarkbackups\)"bookmarks-2017-****.jsonlz4"

search %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles (c:\Users\<username>\Appdata\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\)

<profilename>\bookmarkbackups\bookmarks-2017-****.jsonlz4

in case of jsonlz4 delet present places.sqlite and copy jsonlz4 to <profilename>\bookmarkbackups\ - firefox will recover it if that file is not damaged
in case of (working) places.sqlite replace it
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

If it happens again all you need to do is to create a new profile: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
Glenn FG

Post by Glenn FG »

Problem solved.
Many thanks to all who replied. Your guidance has been very helpful in a solution to this issue.
therube

Post by therube »

Problem solved.
How?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

B wrote:try "R-undelete Home"
FAT is free, NTFS is not?
R-Undelete run in the free Home mode has no limitations for recovery from FAT partitions and also allows you to evaluate how the software recovers lost files from the NTFS file system, for which it has a limitation to recover files larger than 64KB.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript