Access denied

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Geo.

Access denied

Post by Geo. »

I have recently re-installed Firefox. Now I find that when I try to open the Firefox folder in Programs (x86) I keep getting a message that is 'not accessible and 'Access Denied' .
I've tried accessing while Firefox shut down with same problem.
I can access other program folders ok.
Any suggestions on how to remedy?
dfoulkes

Re: Access denied

Post by dfoulkes »

If you can't open a folder on disk it sure sounds like you may have re-installed it using a higher admin level account on your computer... higher that what you are using now?...possible?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Geo.

Post by Geo. »

dfoulkes wrote:If you can't open a folder on disk it sure sounds like you may have re-installed it using a higher admin level account on your computer... higher that what you are using now?...possible?
Seems strange though that I can access every other program's folder on my hard drive. e.g., I can access Mozilla Maintenance, Mozilla Thunderbird, Microsoft, etc, etc.
Duck_Dodgers

Post by Duck_Dodgers »

Are you using Windows 7? It’s been a while since I’ve messed with this, but can you right-click on the folder and click on “Properties,” and then the “Security” tab? There’s a convoluted process to give your user account access rights to the folder. I don’t remember the details, but I know they’re out there…

Or, if not that, maybe UAC (User Account Control) is messing you up…? It's bitten me a few times.

Mike
Quack! Quack!
Geo.

Post by Geo. »

Duck_Dodgers wrote:Are you using Windows 7? It’s been a while since I’ve messed with this, but can you right-click on the folder and click on “Properties,” and then the “Security” tab? There’s a convoluted process to give your user account access rights to the folder. I don’t remember the details, but I know they’re out there…

Or, if not that, maybe UAC (User Account Control) is messing you up…? It's bitten me a few times.

Mike
I've got Win 8.1
Just tried the folder properties and security tabs but they lead to similar message 'you do not have permission to read or edit '.
One thing - doing that I noticed that hovering my cursor over the Mozilla Firefox folder says 'empty'.
There is no reference to Mozilla firefox anywhere else in the ' Programs (x86)' or in the 'Programs' folder.
I did a search for 'firefox.exe' and it came up with zilch. Must be somewhere on my pc because FF is working ok. But where? :?
Geo.

Post by Geo. »

Update: Used Revo uninstaller to locate where the files were and found them installed in a folder under my username/ App Data/Local/Mozilla Firefox.
Don't know why FF installed there though and not in a program folder or why a 'search' of files for firefox on the pc doesn't come up with anything.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

reason for that folder is deny on UAC question - programs wont go into \program files\ (where you dont have access) rather that %localappdata% (user account folder). at least firefox was not installed for all, only for current user.