55.0.2 Greasemonkey & Anti adblock killer apparently not wor

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pompsteve

55.0.2 Greasemonkey & Anti adblock killer apparently not wor

Post by pompsteve »

Hi,
I upgraded from 54.0.1 to 55.0.2 today.
I have adblock plus along with greasemonkey & anti adblock killer installed.
As many know, many mainstream sites won`t allow viewing of their info if it detects an adblocker.
With those extensions installed they don`t detect the adblocker and the sites just load normally.

After upgrading to 55.0.2 today all the sites I normally visit are now detecting the adblocker.
I went back to 54.0.1 and all is good again and sites are "not" detecting the adblocker.

Anyone know what change in 55.0.2 has caused the detecting of the adblocker?
If it`s just a setting in about:config that may need changing in 55.0.2, please post the info.

Thank you
therube

Re: 55.0.2 Greasemonkey & Anti adblock killer apparently not

Post by therube »

sites won`t allow viewing of their info if it detects an adblocker
Some URLs?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
pompsteve

Post by pompsteve »

therube wrote:
sites won`t allow viewing of their info if it detects an adblocker
Some URLs?
Most visited is PCH.COM
In 55.0.2 it detects the adblocker.
In 54.0.1 and previous versions it does "not" detect the adblocker.
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

pompsteve wrote:Hi,
Here is my recommendation:

Uninstall both adblock plus AND your anti adblock killer extensions.
Install uBlock Origin - this will work as BOTH your ad ablocker AND anti-adblocker (trust me, uBlock is a rock-solid, continuously maintained add-on with tons of users. It's also "lightweight"). Just make sure when you are configuring it that you have the proper blocking lists checked, particularly - Adblock Warning Removal List, and Anti-Adblock Killer. Choose other lists that fit your needs as well. I believe this will not only work better for you, but will also eliminate an extension as uBlock will take care of BOTH. You can leave greasemonkey as it is still functional for now... Look, this is just advice, but I strongly encourage you to at least give it a try.

I just went to the site you posted and - nada - works great.

8-bit
pompsteve

Post by pompsteve »

8-bit wrote:
pompsteve wrote:Hi,
Here is my recommendation:

Uninstall both adblock plus AND your anti adblock killer extensions.
Install uBlock Origin - this will work as BOTH your ad ablocker AND anti-adblocker (trust me, uBlock is a rock-solid, continuously maintained add-on with tons of users. It's also "lightweight"). Just make sure when you are configuring it that you have the proper blocking lists checked, particularly - Adblock Warning Removal List, and Anti-Adblock Killer. Choose other lists that fit your needs as well. I believe this will not only work better for you, but will also eliminate an extension as uBlock will take care of BOTH. You can leave greasemonkey as it is still functional for now... Look, this is just advice, but I strongly encourage you to at least give it a try.

I just went to the site you posted and - nada - works great.

8-bit
Thanks much for the info!
Did you test the PCH.COM site in 55.0.2 with ublock origin?
If so, did it detect the adblocker or not?
You have to wait about 10 seconds on that site before it gives the adblocker warning.
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

pompsteve wrote:Thanks much for the info!
You have to wait about 10 seconds on that site before it gives the adblocker warning.
There is no filters specific for "pch.com" in uBO. I don't really know that site, and I don't see an adblocker warning. How does it look like? A screenshot and specific URL would help.
pompsteve

Post by pompsteve »

Apparently some setting was changed in 55.0.2 that makes the detection of the adblocker.
I`m wondering if some here with 55.0.2 with Adblock Plus with Greasemonkey and Antiadblock killer from (REEK) extensions installed are having same problem with the adblocker being detected.
I never had this problem with 54.0.1 and previous versions.
I `m using PCH.COM as the sample site for testing since it`s the easiest and most obvious when the adblocker is detected.
therube

Post by therube »

Screenshot here, https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardF ... ssues/1509, but I haven't seen it (not that I frequent there).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

Yes, as I said in my previous post, I went to the site and did not encounter ANY adblocker warning.
pompsteve wrote:Apparently some setting was changed in 55.0.2 that makes the detection of the adblocker.
I`m wondering if some here with 55.0.2 with Adblock Plus with Greasemonkey and Antiadblock killer from (REEK) extensions installed are having same problem with the adblocker being detected.
I `m using PCH.COM as the sample site for testing since it`s the easiest and most obvious when the adblocker is detected.
By reading the above statement, it gives me the impression that you installed uBO, but did NOT disable/remove Adblock Plus. Is this assumption correct? If so, please disable/remove Adblock Plus, thus leaving uBO as your only "blocker". Choose your uBO filter lists (Tools > Add-ons > uBO [preferences] then click "show dashboard" > 3rd-party filters, click the "Purge all caches" button to flush everything, then click "Update now" to refresh your selected lists. Like I said, I get no warning whatsoever - and I let it sit there for about a minute.

Please clarify EXACTLY what extensions you have installed (ALL). Thanks.
pompsteve

Post by pompsteve »

8-bit wrote:
Yes, as I said in my previous post, I went to the site and did not encounter ANY adblocker warning.
pompsteve wrote:Apparently some setting was changed in 55.0.2 that makes the detection of the adblocker.
By reading the above statement, it gives me the impression that you installed uBO, but did NOT disable/remove Adblock Plus. Is this assumption correct? If so, please disable/remove Adblock Plus, thus leaving uBO as your only "blocker". Choose your uBO filter lists (Tools > Add-ons > uBO [preferences] then click "show dashboard" > 3rd-party filters, click the "Purge all caches" button to flush everything, then click "Update now" to refresh your selected lists. Like I said, I get no warning whatsoever - and I let it sit there for about a minute.

Please clarify EXACTLY what extensions you have installed (ALL). Thanks.
Hi,
No, I never had UBO. I asked if you had checked the site in 55.0.2 with UBO.
I have Adblock plus with Greasemonkey and Anti-adblock killer from Reek.
I`m just hoping for some simple, "possibly" some setting change in about:config that will make 55.0.2 "not" detect my adblocker.
I`d rather keep my current Adblock Plus with the mentioned extensions., if possible.
It all works great and "no" detection of adblocker in 54.0.1 and previous versions with what I have now.
The fact that 55.0.2 detects the adblocker makes me think some setting was changed under the hood in 55.0.2.
What that exact change made is what I don`t know yet.
Thanks much for your responses so far.
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

When I search the moz add-ons site, I cannot find Anti-adblock killer from Reek. Has the developer removed it? Please give a direct link to it on moz add-on if you can - I can't seem to find it.
pompsteve

Post by pompsteve »

8-bit wrote:When I search the moz add-ons site, I cannot find Anti-adblock killer from Reek. Has the developer removed it? Please give a direct link to it on moz add-on if you can - I can't seem to find it.
HTTPS://REEK.GITHUB.IO/ANTI-ADBLOCK-KILLER/

It`ll take you to their red/white colored webpage.

I don`t know if it`s a moz add-on or not.
It works with other adblockers too.

If the hotlink does not work--it works by typing it in search or address bar.
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

pompsteve wrote:

Maybe for you, but it takes me to 404: There isn't a GitHub Pages site here. :(
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Mark12547 wrote:
pompsteve wrote:

Try this link https://github.com/
It should take you to the sign in page
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
pompsteve

Post by pompsteve »

Mark12547 wrote:
pompsteve wrote:

I did previously mention if hotlink is not working just typing it in address bar will take you to the right red and white colored web page.