checkbox visibility. [Linux.]

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
gongo

Re: checkbox visibility. [Linux.]

Post by gongo »

today I test version 55.0.1 direct from mozilla ftp (new profile) - problem still. Version 54 direct from mozilla ftp - no problem, checkboxs are OK. Is it a bug?
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

You needed to try the version from the Linux Mint repositories trying other things is only going to keep confusing the issue.
Using the version from the Mozilla FTP might not make the necessary changes for Linux Mint's organization.
The Gtk2 has to be showing in the Firefox folders.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

Maybe worth looking at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fi ... .3E.3D3.20
Firefox (as of version 47) does not support GTK+ >=3.20 and may look unsightly as a result. A possible resolution is compiling Firefox against GTK2 instead, see firefox-esr-gtk2AUR. Alternatively, you may use the archlinuxcn repository (x86_64 only) for pre-built GTK2 Firefox packages.
and https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1278282
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@flaneurb - in both the Linux Mint 14 and the Ubuntu 14LTS the Gtk2 support is built in to Firefox 55. (the OP is using Linux Mint 14)
It's why the suggestion to use the OS specific version from the repositories and not the Mozilla tar ball or the upstream version.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

Grumpus wrote:@flaneurb - in both the Linux Mint 14 and the Ubuntu 14LTS the Gtk2 support is built in to Firefox 55. (the OP is using Linux Mint 14)
It's why the suggestion to use the OS specific version from the repositories and not the Mozilla tar ball or the upstream version.
I see! So Fx is being compiled with the gtk2 option baked in by the Ubuntu/Mint teams. But still, does a user wanting to use gtk2 need to tweak some about:config setting or perhaps add a command line option to ensure that Fx starts in gtk2 mode?

Or, maybe given that 14,04 doesn't have the gtk3 version(s) that later Fx versions need to look pretty, it's gtk2 by default.

I'm on 16.04 and so don't know what's going on with 14.04 :(
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@flaneurb - best guess it's default as there do not seem to be any issues with either version from the repositories.
Both are LTS so they're supported until 2019 which gives some play time.
Look in the /usr/lib/firefox folder, in Mint and Ubuntu at the bottom of the list should be the gtk2 folder with a libmozgtk.so file.
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

Grumpus wrote:...
Look in the /usr/lib/firefox folder, in Mint and Ubuntu at the bottom of the list should be the gtk2 folder with a libmozgtk.so file.
Big admission: I don't use Firefox from the repos. I have it direct from Mozilla. And so I have ~/NIGHTLY/firefox/libmozgtk.so and, as you mention, ~/NIGHTLY/firefox/gtk2/libmozgtk.so.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

That would mean it comes with Firefox from Mozilla for the Linux version and not baked in by Mint/Ubuntu folks.
This also means, unless the nightly includes it for developers, the 55 version from Mozilla might solve the problem with the exception of maybe some OS specific file locations.
gongo

Post by gongo »

I try latest stable 55.0.3 and beta 56 with same result. I revert to the latest functions 54.0.1