Privacy Settings Not Saving

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
IanGreen

Privacy Settings Not Saving

Post by IanGreen »

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please help as I am going nuts with my Privacy settings not saving.

I am on FF 55.0.2 and, when I alter the Privacy settings in an attempt to "Never Remember History", next time I look, the setting has altered to "Use Custom Settings for History".

I am at a loss to understand how this has come about as FF has always behaved well with this before, and am reasonably confident I have none of the applications known to interfere with settings installed on my machine.

I have also had a look at the "prefs" and "about:config" options, but am unsure as to what things should be set at.

Regards,

Ian
DanRaisch

Re: Privacy Settings Not Saving

Post by DanRaisch »

See if this article is applicable http://kb.mozillazine.org/Preferences_not_saved
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

In the "Use Custom Settings for History" which you mentioned checkmark the option called "Clear histrory when Firefox closes" and then click the "Settings" button.

In the popup which opens checkmark the options you want Firefox to clear when you close it. Make sure you include "Cache" since that retains data from sites you've visited as well. See this tutorial for more info.
IanGreen

Post by IanGreen »

Hi DanRaisch and Reflkective,

Thank you both for having taken the trouble to respond to my question, and for your respective suggestions.

Unfortunately, annoyance, frustration, and a lack of free-time, led to my performing an uninstall and reinstall of FireFox.

I shall probably never know the cause of the initial problem (saving settings) but, when AdBlocker too started to lose the ability to block ads on sites it had previously handled so superbly well, I felt it necessary to take drastic action.

I did run Comodo A/V and Malwarebytes Premium over everything before resorting to uninstalling, but neither found any problems.

Hopefully the problem has gone away for good, but I always have your answers available, should trouble appear again.

Many thanks,

Ian