Ads across sites

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MozillaMonkey

Ads across sites

Post by MozillaMonkey »

Why is this happening? Surely FF must be complicit?

Here's the deal. I was on a commercial site last night, looking at some very niche products.

Today I am logged into some completely different websites and to the side are ads for the exact same products
I was looking at last night!

Heck, even when I was waiting to be logged into THIS site, I saw and ad for one of the products, right
here on mozillaZine!

Can I stop it?
Frank Lion

Re: Ads across sites

Post by Frank Lion »

MozillaMonkey wrote: Can I stop it?
Change your cookie options.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

Frank Lion wrote:

Thanks.
Well I just checked all the FF options and couldn't see cookies.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

MozillaMonkey wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:

Thanks.
They'll be under the 'Privacy and Security' options.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You might want to consider updating to something newer than version 43 of Firefox. I believe that version 52.xESR is the last compatible version for users of Win XP. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Also to add to what Dan said, you should always be using the latest version of Firefox, if you don't you are leaving yourself open to security holes.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

tomatoshadow2, the latest version the OP can use would be 52ESR because they're running Win XP.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

My mistake, thanks for pointing that out Dan.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

MozillaMonkey wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:
Thanks.
To explain: it's not Firefox itself that's following you around. It's sites that are planting cookies, and it happens in every browser. Only 7 sites are allowed to plant permanent cookies in my cookie jar, all the others are per-session or not at all.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
James

Post by James »

tomatoshadow2 wrote:Also to add to what Dan said, you should always be using the latest version of Firefox, if you don't you are leaving yourself open to security holes.
Firefox 52.7.3 ESR is the latest version for security and allowed stability fixes besides the 59.0.2 Release. Firefox 52.9.0esr out on June 26 will be the last major update for Firefox 52 ESR though. Firefox 53.0 and later requires Windows 7, 8 (8.1), 10.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Release_Management/Calendar
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

DanRaisch wrote:You might want to consider updating to something newer than version 43 of Firefox. I believe that version 52.xESR is the last compatible version for users of Win XP. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/
Thanks Dan.
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:
To explain: it's not Firefox itself that's following you around. It's sites that are planting cookies, and it happens in every browser. Only 7 sites are allowed to plant permanent cookies in my cookie jar, all the others are per-session or not at all.
A few things...

1. Every time I upgrade my FF it messes up my fonts (they become blurry) and I have to fix them.

2. Why didn't FF upgrade to the latest version v.52 when I clicked Help/Upgrade? It only stopped at around v.47.

3. About the cookies. I was always under the impression that sites plant cookies to remember your preferences/settings on their site. I had no idea they were spying on all the sites you were visiting including remembering items that were of interest to you at these sites, so they could then place ads on their site advertising the same items that were of interest to you.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

1. Wait for someone wiser than me, because this is unusual.
2. You have to get on the 52ESR track manually. I installed it after v. 53, I think, and dumped 53.

3. that was the original purpose of cookies, and it's still used at many sites. Also if you've put items into a "cart" to buy later, the site will "remember" you later.

But on many sites that are free, YOU are the product. Your eyes are being sold to advertisers. Check the current scandal at Facebook, although most cookies don't track you for political agendas.

Many of us use the extension UBlock Origin to block ads entirely.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ck-origin/

I'm sad about what the internet has become. It started out with such great promise, and I found so many sites that existed only because the webmaster was passionate about something.
Now we spend hours every week trying to keep our info private and secure.

This is long, but you can get the gist from the first few paragraphs:
http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/an-a ... lt-it.html
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:1. Wait for someone wiser than me, because this is unusual.
2. You have to get on the 52ESR track manually. I installed it after v. 53, I think, and dumped 53.
Thanks, I fixed the font problem (kept notes on how to do it from the last upgrade).
Yeah, I had to go to the Moz site and do a manual upgrade. v.52.7.3 now.
3. that was the original purpose of cookies, and it's still used at many sites. Also if you've put items into a "cart" to buy later, the site will "remember" you later....

Many of us use the extension UBlock Origin to block ads entirely.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ck-origin/

...This is long, but you can get the gist from the first few paragraphs:
http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/an-a ... lt-it.html
Yes it is sad what has become of the internet these days.
Thanks for the article and ad-blocker tip, I'll check them out!
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

Note that if you disable 'regular' cookies altogether, most sites will break one way or another. But you can safely disable 3rd party cookies, although I have come across one site that required them.