[SOLVED] Can't prevent showing Profile Manager even with -P

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Amby19

[SOLVED] Can't prevent showing Profile Manager even with -P

Post by Amby19 »

I have two versions of 64-bit Windows10 Firefox -- one quantum and the other pre-quantum (v56.0.2) -- installed in two different folders with two different exe filenames. I also have two different profiles, which I believe Ive set up correctly. I have two different shortcuts for the two, both of which use the -P option (and - for both different profiles. I've tested these shortcuts both with and without an appended "-no-remote" option.

My very irritating problem is that, no matter what I try, the Profile Manager ALWAYS shows up and demands I choose the desired profile! And the "Use the selected profile without asking at startup" checkbox NEVER works. I've tried specifying the desired profile by both profile name and by profile path, but neither ever prevents the Profile Manager from showing its dialog box.

Is this simply inevitable or is something wrong? What can I do to stop the Profile Manager from appearing every time I launch either shortcut?

Thanks!
phkhgh

Re: Can't prevent always showing Profile Manager even with -

Post by phkhgh »

Is one Fx version, that's set to use specific profile, set as default browser? It might help to set one as default. Then, you only have one that needs -p <profilename> -no-remote. Just a hunch.

Make sure there's 1 space between "C:/Programs/full-path-to/firefox.exe & the "-p", and between the profile name & -no-remote. Look at other working shortcuts & copy the syntax - using quote marks when needed, spaces, etc.

You may want to look at profiles.ini file (make backup 1st) to see if correct data is there. Sometimes data or paths get messed up. Only one should show it's the default.

I don't think you have to use the 8 random chars in the profile name listed after the -p (could be wrong).
Also, where are the Fx program files installed - on same partition, in same general main folder, under different sub-folders?

If you can't figure it out, reinstall the program files, in case the profile mgr is messed up.
Try a clean profile on one version - maybe the non-default Fx version.
Amby19

Post by Amby19 »

Never mind, I figured it out. I had been specifying the full folder name, including the random alphanumeric prefix as the profile argument in the shortcuts. To fix my problem, I specified only the profile name as seen in the Profile Manager. Now they're both working correctly!
Amby19

Post by Amby19 »

Hey, thanks, phkhgh! I didn't see your reply until after I submitted my reply above.

I very much appreciate your response.
costark

Post by costark »

Awhile back someone posted these helpful Desktop Shtcuts that I keep in a Desktop Folder. Don't use then much but it helps when needed.
Shtcut - C:\ Paths - are Win 7 so confirm your's as requd.
I have "Default" Profile chk'd in Prof Mgr to Open Without Asking.
Use as desired.

TEST Profile w/ FF (Default) - OPEN
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P TEST -no-remote …… ( TEST or "TEST 1") Prof Name Spaces req " "

TEST Profile - FF (Default) - CLOSED
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P TEST

PROFILE MGR - FF (Default) - OPEN
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P -no-remote

PROFILE MGR - FF (Default) - CLOSED
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -