[SOLVED] Flash frame freeze indefinetly after tab lose focus

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
NginUS

[SOLVED] Flash frame freeze indefinetly after tab lose focus

Post by NginUS »

On Linux Mint 18.3 with Firefox 63.0 & adobe-flashplugin 1:20181113.1.

I just switched form Chrome to Firefox overnight, & I have this one issue where I've been unable to find a fix.

I have an off-brand webcam with its own webserver, & it uses flash to display the feed through a browser. Usually, I've been able to log in once when I start the browser then switch to the tab to watch whenever throughout the day. But now it freezes several seconds after the tab loses focus. I have to refresh & re-login to get it to restart live playback.

I used to have the adobe-flashplugin from the Linux Mint 18.3 repo installed, but switched to the one from the Adobe website thinking a newer version might help. But it didn't help so I switched back so as to get updates once they hit the repo.

Google mentioned that Firefox doesn't suspend background tabs, but I can't help but wonder if it is because how else would the flash frame know I switched away from that tab?

Could use a hand here. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by NginUS on November 16th, 2018, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
morat

Re: Flash frame freezes indefinetly after tab loses focus

Post by morat »

Omit.
Last edited by morat on November 15th, 2018, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Firefox may throttle the bandwidth available to media in background windows to ensure good service for the active window. To turn off throttling:

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising to be careful or accepting the risk.

(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste throt and pause while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click the network.http.throttle.enable preference to switch the value from true to false

Was that it? If not, perhaps there is something specific for plugins.
NginUS

Post by NginUS »

jscher2000 wrote: (1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising to be careful or accepting the risk.
(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste throt and pause while the list is filtered
(3) Double-click the network.http.throttle.enable preference to switch the value from true to false
Nope, no effect. Will keep tinkering & check back.
NginUS

Post by NginUS »

Something I see in the logs is this:

Code: Select all

logout from rtmp stream
It happens between 30-70 seconds after changing to another tab.
NginUS

Post by NginUS »

I've found that enabling audio on that camera's feed solves the issue.

However this creates another problem since Firefox's 'Mute Tab' function doesn't work on embedded flash.

I have to click the flash frame's 'mute' button every time the page loads. If I forget, I end up with howling feedback about 15 seconds after it opens.

EDIT:
The feed I've been referring to thus far was #2. If audio is off on #2 it logs out of the rtmp stream when that flash tab loses focus.

However, I can have audio off on feed #1 & the flash tab is fine when it loses focus (At least +2m like it takes for #1 to fail).
NginUS

Re: [SOLVED] Flash frame freeze indefinetly after tab lose f

Post by NginUS »

Marking solved after determining my wonky camera is to blame here. Thanks for all your time helping.