transparency

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
gfdgfd

transparency

Post by gfdgfd »

Hi guys.

Is there an add-on that can make me look through a page I'm looking to another I have open on another tap?
On mac there's an app called Afloat that does this.
Grumpus

Re: transparency

Post by Grumpus »

Guessing it's probably more of a system window configuration.
(on Linux this is usually system window config)
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
gfdgfd

Post by gfdgfd »

I typed "tap" by mistake but I meant tab.
Lets say I have tab 1 on a website that has a big WATCH.
But I'm watching a video on youtube on tab 2.
Since I'm not close to the computer, I would like to watch both (the time on tab1 and the video on tab2) because I'm not close to the screen (and can't watch the small computer watch lets say).
I could use that addon that splits the space and makes you fit multiple tabs but this thing I'm asking (transparency) would be better. Anyway I guess there's not such thing.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

It may be the transparency could cause some confusion in just the watching but . . .
There is a setting in you preferences which opens a new window instead of a new tab. Open /Edit/Preferences/General/Tab and uncheck the middle setting open links in tabs instead of new windows
If your system has the transparency capability it might be picked up by Firefox but this is a guess.
Any new window from another software if the transparency is set to a percentage on the system should also work.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
gfdgfd

Post by gfdgfd »

I'm on a OS-X and the sw I use to do this is called Afloat but it works only if the application was done in Cocoa(?) Firefox apparently is not, so using another window will not work. Anyway, I don't know if this is hard to program as an extension but it could be a useful addon.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

If you program why not see what help Mozilla is offering to developers in the way of help. Contacts
Take a look at the Rust language which is partially used in Firefox and may eventually become the core code.
gfdgfd

Post by gfdgfd »

Unfortunally I don't program (although I really like it and would love to learn one day) the problem is that I've tried and I saw that it takes time to do it right (unfortually I don't have it now.. I should have started to code when I was younger.. now my brain just can't handle it because I've tried). Anyway thanks Grumpus