Problems with Fx's password manager

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Odin2

Problems with Fx's password manager

Post by Odin2 »

Lately, Fx's built-in p/w manager has not been behaving as expected. On one site the wrong p/w is inserted, and after I've logged in with the correct p/w, the next time I need to log in, the wrong p/w is still inserted; Fx's usual dialog to update the stored p/w never appeared. On another site neither the usual insertion (which has always previously appeared) nor any other appears. Can I correct these aberrations?
BobbyPhoenix

Re: Problems with Fx's password manager

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

Are you somehow using a password manager like LastPass also? Maybe that is prefilling the incorrect one? The easiest way to correct it if you're not using a manager is to go into passwords via settings, and just delete that one, and then when you log in again next time you will be prompted to save it, and then save the correct one.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can double-click username and password fields in the Firefox Password Manager to edit these fields in case wrong data is stored in the Password Manager.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks, both. (I don't use another p/w manager that fills in passwords.) Your suggestions worked with the first site I referenced--but not with the other site, which happens to be this very Mozillazine site. As I indicated, Fx no longer fills in any password for that site.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

If I remember correctly 'this site' retains your password in a cookie. I also see it in my passwords so I'm not sure where it picks it up from. And a note: ... when I visit this site it never asks me for my data as I'm sure that it is just picking it all up from that cookie. Maybe in your system it may be picking up something from form history? ... not sure.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!