MozillaZine

Firefox will not start.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Miles_Umbrae
 
Posts: 9
Joined: July 31st, 2019, 4:00 pm

Post Posted August 12th, 2019, 3:29 pm

For the past couple of weeks I've been unable to get Firefox to start.
When I try to start Firefox all I get is a blank window with nothing more than the Firefox-icon in the upper left corner and the Minimize, Maximize, Close buttons in the upper right corner and nothing else.
Trying to start Firefox from anywhere starts a Process in the Windows Task Manager, but no matter whichever method I use to try to close down Firefox neither the window nor the process closes down.
I can not access the menu-button and therefor can not get to the "Refresh Firefox" button or the Safe Mode.
Like most users I have multiple tabs open with things to get to "tomorrow", tabs that I do not want to lose if at all possible.
https://imgur.com/3bYmwMY
Image

malliz
Folder@Home

User avatar
 
Posts: 43770
Joined: December 7th, 2002, 4:34 am
Location: Australia

Post Posted August 12th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Did you re-boot your pc?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

Miles_Umbrae
 
Posts: 9
Joined: July 31st, 2019, 4:00 pm

Post Posted August 12th, 2019, 6:10 pm

malliz wrote:Did you re-boot your pc?

Second thing I tried...

malliz
Folder@Home

User avatar
 
Posts: 43770
Joined: December 7th, 2002, 4:34 am
Location: Australia

Post Posted August 12th, 2019, 6:26 pm

There are ways to start firefox in safe mode without opening the program but it has to be closed to do.

You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while starting Firefox.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

Miles_Umbrae
 
Posts: 9
Joined: July 31st, 2019, 4:00 pm

Post Posted August 13th, 2019, 4:47 am

malliz wrote:There are ways to start firefox in safe mode without opening the program but it has to be closed to do.

You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while starting Firefox.


I tried that, and everything else applicable found on support.mozilla.com
..everything except reinstalling Firefox, which I'm hesitant to do because of all the not yet bookmarked tabs that I do not want to lose...

kerft
 
Posts: 394
Joined: January 30th, 2019, 9:38 am

Post Posted August 13th, 2019, 5:06 am

The tabs should exist in the sessionstore files or sessionstore backup files. If you copy the whole %appdata%\mozilla folder to another drive or a USB key, you should be able to use files in the profiles in it to get the tabs back, either when Firefox works or by using this https://www.jeffersonscher.com/ffu/scrounger.html
So first, backup - either your profile, all of %appdata%\mozilla , or your whole computer.
Uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox should not affect your profile which has your data. Best process: uninstall, remove all shortcuts that are left behind. Set something else to default browser. Reinstall, set as default browser if you like.
If that does not work, what antivirus software do you use?

Miles_Umbrae
 
Posts: 9
Joined: July 31st, 2019, 4:00 pm

Post Posted August 13th, 2019, 6:22 am

kerft wrote:The tabs should exist in the sessionstore files or sessionstore backup files. If you copy the whole %appdata%\mozilla folder to another drive or a USB key, you should be able to use files in the profiles in it to get the tabs back, either when Firefox works or by using this https://www.jeffersonscher.com/ffu/scrounger.html
So first, backup - either your profile, all of %appdata%\mozilla , or your whole computer.
Uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox should not affect your profile which has your data. Best process: uninstall, remove all shortcuts that are left behind. Set something else to default browser. Reinstall, set as default browser if you like.
If that does not work, what antivirus software do you use?

I'm using Avast antivirus.

TheVisitor
 
Posts: 4947
Joined: May 13th, 2012, 10:43 am

Post Posted August 13th, 2019, 7:10 am

Miles_Umbrae wrote:I'm using Avast antivirus.


See here: https://support.mozilla.org/questions/1264440 Read the link for Moz Support. Avast is your problem.

Miles_Umbrae
 
Posts: 9
Joined: July 31st, 2019, 4:00 pm

Post Posted August 13th, 2019, 9:02 am

TheVisitor wrote:
Miles_Umbrae wrote:I'm using Avast antivirus.


See here: https://support.mozilla.org/questions/1264440 Read the link for Moz Support. Avast is your problem.


From the conversation it sounds more like Firefox is the problem as it is the program that was changed and started to conflict with programs that was not updated. (Yes, it's nitpicking, but accuracy is important)
Furthermore, the only alternative to solve this conflict leaves me with having to choose between finding a new safe browser(and loosing all the tabs), or to leave the security of my computer to inferior anti-virus software...

kerft
 
Posts: 394
Joined: January 30th, 2019, 9:38 am

Post Posted August 13th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Someone in these threads https://forum.avast.com/?topic=228355.0 https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1264440 said that a clean install of new firefox and new avast did work.
You can try posting in the avast forums.
You may be able to get your tabs using the scrounger linked above and put them into a new profile or any browser.

Miles_Umbrae
 
Posts: 9
Joined: July 31st, 2019, 4:00 pm

Post Posted August 14th, 2019, 6:07 pm

kerft wrote:Someone in these threads https://forum.avast.com/?topic=228355.0 https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1264440 said that a clean install of new firefox and new avast did work.
You can try posting in the avast forums.
You may be able to get your tabs using the scrounger linked above and put them into a new profile or any browser.


OP in the Mozilla Support thread stated that a clean install did not work for them.

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests