How-To: Move Tabs below Bookmarks & other tweaks (v93)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Franpa

How-To: Move Tabs below Bookmarks & other tweaks (v93)

Post by Franpa »

I dunno if this is an appropriate topic for here, but I figured some people may like these tweaks.

* Right Click a toolbar in Firefox and then Customize Toolbar
* Change "Density" at the bottom of this screen to "Compact"
If Compact Mode is not available to choose, then:
* Open Firefox and navigate to about:config, accept the warning.
* Create or toggle the browser.compactmode.show entry (set it to True).

Then...

* Open Firefox and type about:support in to the address bar and press Enter.
* Find "Profile Folder" and click Open Folder.
* Extract the zip folder to here.
* Restart Firefox.

I suggest disabling these variable in the about:config page of Firefox 89. Some of these entries likely won't do anything in Firefox 90+ but it's worth trying anyways.

browser.proton.contextmenus.enabled
browser.proton.doorhangers.enabled
browser.proton.enabled
browser.proton.modals.enabled
browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.improvesearch.handoffToAwesomebar

Tabs beneath bookmarks & various other tweaks, primarily aimed at restoring Firefox 2 layout (not its theme). Works with Firefox 93
Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/oycvbu5t ... I.zip/file
Example of my changes: https://imgur.com/a/vvgiFJg
Firefox 2 example: https://wiki.mozilla.org/images/6/6f/Fx ... -xp-v1.jpg
Last edited by Franpa on November 7th, 2021, 12:17 am, edited 44 times in total.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 x64|AMD Ryzen 3700X|ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi)|16GB 3600MHz RAM|Nvidia Geforce 1070Ti 8GB|Corsair AX760 Power Supply
Franpa

Re: How-To: Move Tabs beneath the Bookmarks & other tweaks (

Post by Franpa »

Hi, could anyone here please explain which (if any) of these tweaks have been broken by Firefox 89 and if there are any solutions? Thank you!

Edit: I guess I should ask: How do you stop tabs being merged together in to a singular gelatinous mass in Proton?
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 x64|AMD Ryzen 3700X|ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi)|16GB 3600MHz RAM|Nvidia Geforce 1070Ti 8GB|Corsair AX760 Power Supply
Franpa

Post by Franpa »

Looks like the "Move tabs beneath bookmarks" tweak is broken (became functionless toolbar that hides tabs), will do more tests later for the other stuff. If anyone can supply updated code for that tweak that'd be very awesome.
Computer specifications:
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You need to add "position: relative" to the rule that sets the padding for the #navigator-toolbox.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14894237

Code: Select all

/* navigator-toolbox: PADDING */
*|*:root:not([chromehidden*="toolbar"]) #navigator-toolbox {
  position: relative !important; /*89*/
  padding-bottom: calc(var(--tab-min-height) + 1px) !important; /*ADJUST*/
  background-color: var(--toolbar-bgcolor) !important;
}
Last edited by dickvl on October 6th, 2021, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franpa

Post by Franpa »

Thanks I found a way to move the tabs back to where I like them and have updated my first post (including where I sourced the changes from). It seems like these tweaks no longer work:

Disable "loading complete" animation on tabs (blue sliding animation)
Stop the address bar enlarging when in focus
Apply dimming to inactive tab bars

Edit: Never mind, I got it all working. I figured out I screwed up. I've updated all the code snippets to working order.
Computer specifications:
Franpa

Re: How-To: Move Tabs below Bookmarks & other tweaks (v93)

Post by Franpa »

And now I've updated this for Firefox 93. The number of tweaks exceeds the maximum character limit for a forum post so I've just zipped the files up. I also added an image showcasing what it looks like.
Computer specifications:
Rickkins

Post by Rickkins »

Hey dude, thanks for the fix, much appreciated.

Little wrinky-dinkle. The tabs seem to cover the bookmarks in my bookmarks toolbar.
Rickkins

Post by Rickkins »

Nevermind, 93 is just too awful. Went back to 88. Thanks anyway.
Fire_chicken

Post by Fire_chicken »

Me too.after following the instructions - the Tab Toolbar merges with the Bookmarks Toolbar - any fix or adjustment to the UserChrome.css file?
Franpa

Post by Franpa »

Fire_chicken wrote:Me too.after following the instructions - the Tab Toolbar merges with the Bookmarks Toolbar - any fix or adjustment to the UserChrome.css file?
Rickkins wrote:Nevermind, 93 is just too awful. Went back to 88. Thanks anyway.
The issue is that I've optimized it for the "Compact" mode in Firefox. if you use Normal or Touch mode the toolbar will be incorrectly positioned. I've updated my first post with instructions on how to enable Compact mode.

You may not need to touch about:config to enable access to Compact Mode (the .js file should've automatically done that step for you).
Computer specifications:
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

Rickkins wrote:Nevermind, 93 is just too awful. Went back to 88. Thanks anyway.
How did you revert to 88? Did you have to completely rebuild your shortcuts and your UID/PW items?
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4291
* Firefox 124; Thunderbird 115.8
Franpa

Post by Franpa »

Hmmm, I see another issue. The variables controlling the position of the Tab Bar are absolute values, not relative values, so if you were to change the "Make text bigger" Ease of Access setting in Windows 10's PC Settings the Tab bar in Firefox may no loner be optimally positioned as the adjusted size of text affects the starting position of toolbars.

I had its position optimized while that Windows setting was set to 120%, at 100% the Active Tab slightly extends below the bottom of the Tab Bar and in to the page contents. At higher than 120% the Tab Bar (and Active Tab) may start to encroach upon the space occupied by the Bookmarks toolbar.
Computer specifications:
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can look at the code in this reply, that should work without the need to adjust for zoom changes.
Franpa

Post by Franpa »

dickvl wrote:You can look at the code in this reply, that should work without the need to adjust for zoom changes.
Oooh nice, that also resolves some issues when disabling any of the toolbars (active tab remained visible, tab bar became uninteractive) as well as the positioning of the Tabs on the Tab Bar when messing with Windows Accessibility.

There is however extra padding adding to the bottom of the Tab Bar when choosing a UI density other than Compact. Still, overall better than the code I was previously using. I've updated the first post with a new download link.
Computer specifications: