Symbols Lost

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BillTreloar

Symbols Lost

Post by BillTreloar »

In the current version of Firefox, many symbols have been replaced by code. For example, a caret displays as "keyboard_arrow_up" and a down-pointing caret displays as "keyboard arrow up" but that text displays upside-down.

I'm seeing this sort of thing for other characters as well. For example, in Google's mobile friendly test page, I see "check_circle" instead of a checkmark within a circle.

Disabling all plugins doesn't relieve the problem. How can I troubleshoot this? Or how can I get help?
DanRaisch

Re: Symbols Lost

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried launching the program in Mozilla Trouble Shooting Mode? This does more than just temporarily disable extensions. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/di ... shoot-mode

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoting dfoulkes:

-- What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Make sure that you do not block remote fonts.

Make sure you allow pages to choose their own fonts.
Settings -> General: Fonts & Colors -> Advanced => "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of your selections above"
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

dickvl wrote:Make sure that you do not block remote fonts.
It's also an option in uBlock Origin, so if you use that extension, check its settings.
BillTreloar

Post by BillTreloar »

Thanks, everyone. DickVL - you nailed it! That fixed it right up. Thanks!
Bill