[SOLVED] Problem with website. Help please.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ed1

[SOLVED] Problem with website. Help please.

Post by Ed1 »

At flightsim.to website, there are tabs near the top of the page labelled: Activity - Liveries - Scenery - Aircraft - Other - Payware - Community. Each of those tabs, when clicked, open a different submenu with a lot of choices for subcategories. With Firefox, the only tab that works properly to display the box with the subcategories is the first one - Activity. All of the others will display the subcategories only when the mouse remains on the tab name, but when the mouse moves down into the subcategory box it immediately closes. This prevents being able to choose any subcategory on those tabs. The behavior with Chrome and Edge is correct - the subcategory box for all tabs remains open while the mouse is moved down into it to select and click on a subcategory.

I noticed that for the Activity tab only, the subcategory box is located immediately below the tab. So, the mouse slides down directly into it. For all of the other tabs, there is some intervening background showing between the tab and the subcategory box, which doesn't remain open long enough for the mouse to get into it.

This seems like some sort of graphics issue with Firefox on this website. It is preventing proper use of that website.

The behavior on Firefox is the same in Firefox safe mode.

Is there any way to correct this?
Last edited by Ed1 on January 15th, 2022, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: Problem with website. Help please.

Post by DanRaisch »

That site has severe issues with Firefox and with Vivaldi. It's extremely slow in Edge as well. Running it through the W3C Validator tool identifies 155 Nu HTML Errors plus 52 CSS Errors and 1699 warnings so it seems fair to say part of the failure is the result of site coding issues.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Strange I don't have any issues with site. I'm running win11, and the latest Nightly build. PC is i5 10400, 12gig ram. Drop-down menus do no appear to be detached from the menu items at the top.

I turned off UBO (micro-block-origin) but that did not seem to be blocking any issues, same here with it on or off.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

OK, thanks for the info guys.

Funny thing. . . I just accessed that website on a different computer (Win10) and the incorrect behavior with the tabs and submenus was not occurring. Then, I did a quick W3C validator check and it confirms @Dan's comments - the site is showing hundreds of errors.

I'm going to check this again on my Win11 computer that was giving me this problem yesterday. (That one is my flight sim computer where I need this site to work!)
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

OK, further checking my Win11 computer, with Firefox 96 minimum font size set to 15, the error continues. If I change the minimum font size to 14 in the Advanced font settings, the error is resolved. The reason is that the final tab in the row on the web page no longer rolls over to a second line, which triggers the display error with tab submenus by expanding the vertical size of the box those tabs are shown in.

This is all with font settings set to allow websites to display their own fonts rather than the font set in the Advanced font settings. I don't know why or what this means, but this is the behavior on my Win11 desktop system with a 1440p wide screen display.

Unfortunately, the 14 minimum font size is smaller than I want for general use, but at least now I know how to resolve it to be able to use that site. I have reported the W3C Verification tool results to the web site.
Ed1

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with website. Help please.

Post by Ed1 »

I know nothing about creating .css stylesheets, but would that be a way to change the font size for only that row of tabs on the flightsim.to site? Possibly, the Stylus addon could then be used to make it work. Or, is there some other way?
Lnwdz

Post by Lnwdz »

I verified that either of the following will fix the problem on my very old Firefox. I don't know what is possible with the current Firefox.

Remove menu icons via uBlock Origin by adding this line to the "My filters" tab:
flightsim.to##.nav-link-icon

Or use Stylus to remove icons and/or reduce spacing by adding either or both of the following lines. (Use "Applies to URLs on the domain flightsim.to")

.nav-link-icon {display: none;}
.droopmenu > li > a {padding: 0 0px !important;}
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Lnwdz wrote:I verified that either of the following will fix the problem on my very old Firefox. I don't know what is possible with the current Firefox.

Remove menu icons via uBlock Origin by adding this line to the "My filters" tab:
flightsim.to##.nav-link-icon

Or use Stylus to remove icons and/or reduce spacing by adding either or both of the following lines. (Use "Applies to URLs on the domain flightsim.to")

.nav-link-icon {display: none;}
.droopmenu > li > a {padding: 0 0px !important;}

Ldwdz, thank you very much!! I tried the Stylus method to only reduce the padding and it worked perfectly. Did not need to remove the icons.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help with resolving this annoyance. I use that web site all of the time.

I haven't ever used Stylus before. Do you know whether the style changes made survive updates to either Stylus or Firefox? I didn't try the uBlock Origin method because I wasn't sure whether custom additions to its filters survive updates.

(By the way, I would recommend that you update to the latest Firefox.)