Why does Firefox simply stop responding??

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
groston

Why does Firefox simply stop responding??

Post by groston »

I am having a very frustrating problem with Firefox V96.0.2 (64 bit) running on my Windows 7 machine (and I will certainly not downgrade to Windows 10). The problem is this: Firefox simply stops responding and I have to wait, upwards of a full minute (sometimes longer), until it can do anything.

Last time I asked for help for this problem, it was suggested that I remove ten Windows updates from my machine. (If you care, the ones suggested for removal are: kb:3035583, kb:2952664, kb:3068708, kb:3022345, kb:3075249, kb:3080149, kb:971033, kb:2990214, kb:3021917, kb:3123862.) Turns out that I had only installed four of them and I removed them. Once I did this, Firefox behaved properly and I thought the issue was resolved.

Here we are a few months later, and Firefox is again stropping responding. Since the updates were removed, the only Microsoft updates that have been installed have been several updates of the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64. Firefox has also updated itself a couple of times. The only other information I can share is this: The problem seems to happen when I have several windows open and I click in a window that is not Firefox.

I have tried, as suggested, running Firefox in safe-mode, but I do not recall this having changed the behavior. I believe that the issue is not something in Firefox itself but rather something in the system. Any suggestions for things for me to try?
DanRaisch

Re: Why does Firefox simply stop responding??

Post by DanRaisch »

If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows