How to permit cookies of an umbrellla of websites?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ineuw

How to permit cookies of an umbrellla of websites?

Post by ineuw »

How can I include every website related to my Wikimedia account in the list of permitted cookies list? The current input does not allow asterisks and there are ~90 websites that would log me in automatically, and I want to permit all.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
mgagnonlv

Re: How to permit cookies of an umbrellla of websites?

Post by mgagnonlv »

I have not tried it, so you might have to refine the following strategy.

You could always decide to authorize websites one by one. That's a long process, but I think that's one of the only ways that you can do it without extensions. Other ways would be to use a second profile in Firefox or Firefox portable (or even a different browser) for Wikimedia-related work. Essentially, you would allow all cookies on the browser or profile used for Wikimedia-related work, whereas you would use your normal profile and normal permissions for other work.

With extensions, the strategy I suggest is the following:
  • Allow Firefox to use cookies the "normal" way (i.e. use and save cookies).
  • Install the extension "Firefox Multi-Account Container". That will allow you to define a container for Wikimedia-related work and one or more for the rest.
    Basically, cookies and saved passwords are used only within a container.
  • Install the extension "Cookie Quick Manager". That will allow you to decide which cookies you want to save and which ones you want to delete.
    Essentially, you can instruct Cookie Quick Manager to always keep cookies from the "Wikimedia" container, but delete all other cookies each time you quit Firefox.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
ineuw

Re: How to permit cookies of an umbrellla of websites?

Post by ineuw »

mgagnonlv wrote:I have not tried it, so you might have to refine the following strategy.

You could always decide to authorize websites one by one. That's a long process, but I think that's one of the only ways that you can do it without extensions. Other ways would be to use a second profile in Firefox or Firefox portable (or even a different browser) for Wikimedia-related work. Essentially, you would allow all cookies on the browser or profile used for Wikimedia-related work, whereas you would use your normal profile and normal permissions for other work.

With extensions, the strategy I suggest is the following:
  • Allow Firefox to use cookies the "normal" way (i.e. use and save cookies).
  • Install the extension "Firefox Multi-Account Container". That will allow you to define a container for Wikimedia-related work and one or more for the rest.
    Basically, cookies and saved passwords are used only within a container.
  • Install the extension "Cookie Quick Manager". That will allow you to decide which cookies you want to save and which ones you want to delete.
    Essentially, you can instruct Cookie Quick Manager to always keep cookies from the "Wikimedia" container, but delete all other cookies each time you quit Firefox.
The detailed options are very much appreciated. I am also trying to contact their tech support for suggestions, since their autoconfirmed users can roam with their unified login scheme. Next to manually adding them, the Multi-Account Container seems to be the best choice. Thanks again.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05