Profiles.ini

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dangnad

Profiles.ini

Post by dangnad »

Firefox 88

Recently checked my profiles.ini and found several entries including one marked as "default=1" that wasn't default. I changed that but FF is still misbehaving in ways I can't explain. I think I need a fresh profiles.ini file. How should the "perfect" profiles.ini look? That is, the minimum necessary for FF to run smoothly. I'm the only user.
tanstaafl

Re: Profiles.ini

Post by tanstaafl »

Rather than editing profiles.ini I suggest you enter about:profiles in the address bar and use that profile manager to delete any unwanted profiles, change the default profile etc. Editing profiles.ini directly is error prone.

You might have a mix of old profile entries (from before the dedicated profile per instance feature was added) and newer ones that use a different syntax.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/un ... stallation
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

How many profiles do you use regularly ?
If that is only one profile then you would only need a profiles.ini with this profile listed.
Note that current releases also add extra Installxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx data to profiles.ini to lock a profile against a specific Firefox version/installation, so do not get confused by these entries.

The entry marked with Default=1 is the profile that is used when you do not specify a profile via the command line in a shortcut or open an external link in Firefox and Firefox isn't running.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/de ... stallation
dangnad

Post by dangnad »

Thanks tanstaafl and dickvl. I just wanted to start with a clean slate, no extra entries. I was able to execute more than one instance of FF (not Window). That is, I click on the taskbar FF icon open one instance then click it again and open a second instance.

Great answers both of you. FF is still the best since 1996. I'll stick with you to the bitter end (which I hope never happens).
therube

Post by therube »

FF is still misbehaving in ways I can't explain
Could you explain that ;-).
I just wanted to start with a clean slate
Then create a new Profile.
I was able to execute more than one instance of FF (not Window). That is, I click on the taskbar FF icon open one instance then click it again and open a second instance.
That does not sound correct.
What does your testbar icon Properties show?

FF 88, as you know, is well out of date.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dangnad

Post by dangnad »

Sorry for being late therube. Mozillazine is not sending me email notification.

Taskbar icon: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
therube

Post by therube »

AFAIK, that should be opening a new windows, not a new instance.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript