Firefox is not loading reddit anymore

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Tushman

Firefox is not loading reddit anymore

Post by Tushman »

Last night it was working just fine. This morning I tried to visit http://www.reddit.com and the page wouldn't load. I also tried old.reddit.com - no go.

I started FF in safe mode - still wouldn't load. This pretty much rules out an add-on issue.

Using the profile manager, I created a test profile - voila the website finally loaded.

I haven't the foggiest idea how this happened. Is there anyway to troubleshoot the exact component in my profile that caused this? I can use the new profile but that would mean having to repeat all the (customization) work I did for the old one.

EDIT: Just to be more clear, reddit is the only website I'm having problems with - many of the other websites in my bookmarks is loading just fine.
Last edited by Tushman on June 30th, 2022, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox is not loading reddit anymore

Post by DanRaisch »

In the old profile clear the cache and remove any cookies associated with Reddit.
Tushman

Post by Tushman »

DanRaisch wrote:In the old profile clear the cache and remove any cookies associated with Reddit.
Already tried that. It's one of the troubleshooting steps I took and it had zero affect on the problem. It's so bizarre how this problem cropped up over night. Last night before I went to bed, it was perfectly fine.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Does it time out, or show blank, or is there an error message?
costark

Post by costark »

[quote="jscher2000"]Does it time out, or show blank, or is there an error message?[/quote]

Answer jscher ..... BUT .... In the Reddit Forum several stated -- Making Reddit TRUSTED (or Paused) in Ghostery -- Solved the issue.
Hope you have Ghostery .....
Enhanced Tracking Settings ... Strict-Std-Off ?? (ie) I currently Cannot Clk Submit on a post in Usual "Strict" that worked prior - Std & post loads. Have to leave Enable HTTPS OFF to work with This Forum, too. Never dull in FF .....
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
Tushman

Post by Tushman »

jscher2000 wrote:Does it time out, or show blank, or is there an error message?
No error messages. Just a completely blank page.
costark wrote:
jscher2000 wrote:Does it time out, or show blank, or is there an error message?[/quote]

Answer jscher ..... BUT .... In the Reddit Forum several stated -- Making Reddit TRUSTED (or Paused) in Ghostery -- Solved the issue.
Hope you have Ghostery .....
Enhanced Tracking Settings ... Strict-Std-Off ?? (ie) I currently Cannot Clk Submit on a post in Usual "Strict" that worked prior - Std & post loads. Have to leave Enable HTTPS OFF to work with This Forum, too. Never dull in FF .....
Holy cow man, that did it! (putting reddit in the trusted zone with the Ghostery add-on).

Two things that are totally bizarre:
1) I tried using Safe Mode (which disables all add-ons) so why didn't this cure the problem? Ghostery was out of the way at that point and it should have fixed the problem.
2) I close my browser every night before I go to bed. How in the world does a problem like this crop up literally overnight? In all the time I've been using Ghostery, I've never had such a problem come up. So bizarre. :roll:
(EDIT: I've come to realize it's not a Ghostery issue, per se, it's more like the reddit developers have taken a hard stance against Ghostery addon.

Costark - I appreciate you posting that solution for me. Where did you hear about it? on /r/Firefox perhaps?

EDIT: nevermind. I found the discussion on reddit here. One of them anyway.