Unknown alert sounds after installing new Firefox version

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jrsva

Unknown alert sounds after installing new Firefox version

Post by jrsva »

I don't know if this is actually a Firefox problem or just a coincidence. Immediately after upgrading FF to the latest version, whenever the computer is left unattended and goes to sleep it starts playing an annoying six-note warning signal for no known reason. The signal stops immediately upon touching the mouse or keyboard but returns as soon it goes back to sleep. I can't find any reason for this warning. I don't really want to disable sleep. Any clue what this is all about and how to stop it?
JRS - Win10-Pro, FF 91.11.1esr, TB 91.11.1
xanthon

Re: Unknown alert sounds after installing new Firefox versio

Post by xanthon »

Possibly your OS is set to do that.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
jrsva

Post by jrsva »

@xanthon, "Possibly your OS is set to do that."
Possibly but how did it get set to do that? The only recent change is the update for FF.

@BruceAWittmeier, your link leads to a discussion of playing music. My issue does not involve music. This is a six-note signal repeated every few seconds. It is like a notification for something. One might choose it to indicate a new email or something like that. Or one might choose it as a ringtone on a mobile phone. But I did not choose it for anything, it just started.

Meanwhile, I have solved the problem in a not very satisfactory way. In Settings / Power Options I set the time to turn off the monitor to Never. That fixed this issue but at the cost of having the monitor drawing power 24/7 until I shut down the computer.

This setting also solved another issue that I've been having for years. This is a bug in Win10 that MS seems to have no interest in repairing. I will describe it here just in case someone has an idea. Nothing in Win10 forums has helped. Namely, when the computer goes to sleep most of the open windows shrink in size and move to the upper left, destroying one's work space. I guess I can tolerate the always-on monitor since it stops this aggravation.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

jrsva wrote:Namely, when the computer goes to sleep most of the open windows shrink in size and move to the upper left, destroying one's work space. I guess I can tolerate the always-on monitor since it stops this aggravation.
Do you have dual displays? Just wondering when when one display goes to sleep, whether Windows resizes everything for a different display of much higher resolution.
jrsva

Post by jrsva »

No, nothing fancy, just a single Dell flat-screen monitor, model SE2717HR, 1920x1080 resolution. It seems more like it is trying to force everything (except Word Perfect) into a 960x720 space. I have not actually measured the size of the space it is using but it looks like about half the full width and a 4:3 layout.