Can't pay on merchant sites with PayPal w/FF 103.0.2 (Mac)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Shemja

Can't pay on merchant sites with PayPal w/FF 103.0.2 (Mac)

Post by Shemja »

Hi. I cannot pay merchants with PayPal. Every time it switches to PP, right after I log in I get a flash of a PayPal screen and then a popup that says "something went wrong, return to merchant." A couple times I was able to view the PP payment screen, but when I clicked pay I generated an error.

I have FF 103.0.2 on Mac OS 12.5 (Monterey) with Adblock Plus, NoScript, and FF Multi-Account Containers extensions installed. I've whitelisted PayPal and the merchant's I'm trying to pay.

I have made sure to open PP in the same container I have my merchant in because it will not work if I open it in a separate container, and I have also completely disabled the NoScript and Adblock extensions, also with no change. Containers shouldn't be causing a problem when I open PP in the same container.

In FF Privacy & Security settings I have the standard tracking protection installed and have selected to always send a "do not track" signal. I tried deselecting this, but it did not help.

I have FF set to block pop-up windows. I whitelisted PP and that too did not help.

Security is set to block dangerous and deceptive content. I'd think FF recognizes PP as a legitimate site. HTTPS-Only mode is set to run-in in all windows, which shouldn't be affecting things.

Anyone got ideas what's going on and what might fix this? It's getting so I have to go to Safari anytime I want to buy something, and that's a big boo.
Last edited by DanRaisch on August 11th, 2022, 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Mac) added to Subject line.
costark

Re: Can't pay on merchant sites with PayPal w/FF 103.0.2 (Ma

Post by costark »

Edited in another post below per donation success with PayPal on 8/12
I can offer no hope as I stopped trying months ago. Searches will show others with Same.
Use to be you had to notice a Cookies popup at page bottom/ Clk OK, but that disappeared, then switching to a Security Code from PP Vs Login worked, but Now an unknown gremlin has taken over.
I use Edge or an FF Test Profile IF I want to use PayPal.......
Last edited by costark on August 12th, 2022, 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Did you try to disable Enhanced Tracking Protection via the slider in the shield drop down list?
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/en ... ox-desktop
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/to ... eakage-faq
Shemja

Post by Shemja »

dickvl wrote:Did you try to disable Enhanced Tracking Protection via the slider in the shield drop down list?
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/en ... ox-desktop
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/to ... eakage-faq

I thought of that and went to turn it off, but then realized what it was and that I didn't want it off on most all sites, so the next time I try to pay with PayPal I'll hit that shield in the address bar and try to work it that way. I might start off in PayPal and tell it to let FF track that one site and see how it goes.

Thanks ~
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

i am not seeing a problem with using paypal.

for testing i went to "wikipedia" and tried making a donation using paypal.

i have firefox's "enhanced tracking protection" turned off except for blocking third-party cookies.
find answers at "Mozilla Support":
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox
costark

Post by costark »

Edit: Made 2nd donation attempt today and PP failed again; Used Edge with no issue.

Just made a charity donation and it's my first PayPal success with regular FF in forever - so there's hope.
Same Site Failed with BOTH FF and EDGE prior, so maybe something has changed at PP.
Selected PP from Charity page AND Used 1-time Security Code Vs Login to PP.
Enhanced Track is OFF IF I just look at PayPal login page & I doubt That is in play when accessing from another vendor, charity site.
There IS a Cookies Button to Accept on the regular PP login page Not seen from Charity page.
I use ESET's - Bank Pmt Protection- module which hides keystrokes etc from outsiders, & with BPP I don't see uBO to know IF That setting matters; All other security in my signature was On.
Good luck.
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
Shemja

Post by Shemja »

Just tried again, completely turning off enhanced tracking protection because paring it down didn't work. It still refuses. I disabled Adblock Plus and most of NoScript add-ons. Still nada. I'm frustrated.
Shemja

Post by Shemja »

I am beyond frustrated now. I removed a couple extensions and have gone through trying to turn off others and change settings. I still cannot get PayPal to work with my merchants. Here's what I have right now:

Extensions::
- FB Purity
- Facebook Container
- Firefox Multi-account Containers
- Pinterest Save Button
- ReviewMe.com Review Analyzer
- Textarea Cache
- uBlock Origin

I did have Adblock+ and NoScript and dumped them for uBlock Origin, which I had but was turned off. I also had Duck Duck Go Privacy Essentials I realized I didn't need and also dumped.

I have tried completely disabling Enhanced Tracking Protection, adding PayPal and c.paypal to my approved cookies, turning off popup blocker, adding PayPal and the merchant to whitelists, and completely disabled my uBlock extension. I can pay with PayPal in Safari and Vivaldi.

The only thing left was to disable the Firefox Multi-Account Containers extension, which I really didn't want to do. I'm disgusted that it fixed it. No problems whatsoever paying.

When I first installed this I had trouble paying because I was trying to open PayPal in my banking tab, but it corrected when I opened it in the same container I was buying from, but it didn't last. When I disabled it PayPal came up in a box to log in and then pay. The extension should do the same. They need to fix it.

So I guess my solution is to manually disable this extension when I want to pay a merchant. When I turned it back on, all my containers were still there. Here is what I don't understand. The extension is turned off, but the containers are still working. Firefox still gives me the option to open links in other containers and follows through. That might go away when I close the browser and restart, but if this lets me turn it off to pay while still using containers, even if I have to go back in to turn it on when I'm done, I'll take it.
kukla

Post by kukla »

Perhaps this doesn't apply, but I've solved what might be a related issue with PayPal and eBay, by first signing in to PayPal. Then in another tab going to eBay and selecting PayPal for payment. Perhaps you might try signing in first to PayPal and then going to the merchant site you want to use. Might just be related to eBay and PayPal, but worth a try?
Shemja

Post by Shemja »

Well, how strange. I closed FF, reopened, and checked my extensions. It is still toggled off and still using containers. But I can pay with PayPal. Guess I'll leave it like this for awhile and see how it goes.
Shemja

Post by Shemja »

kukla wrote:Perhaps this doesn't apply, but I've solved what might be a related issue with PayPal and eBay, by first signing in to PayPal. Then in another tab going to eBay and selecting PayPal for payment. Perhaps you might try signing in first to PayPal and then going to the merchant site you want to use. Might just be related to eBay and PayPal, but worth a try?
I tried that, but it had no impact. Good thinking, though.
Shemja

Post by Shemja »

Have updated and rebooted my Mac as well as restarted Firefox. The Firefox Multi-Containers extension is still disabled and I can pay with PayPal without problems. AND I can still use containers, which are working the way they should if the extension were enabled.

Something is clearly amiss, because I shouldn't have access to containers at all if it's actually disabled, however, I hope they don't fix it because it's the fix I needed to use containers and pay merchants with PayPal. Weird, but I'll take it while it lasts.
b4ckerCrazyMit

Post by b4ckerCrazyMit »

Shemja wrote:Have updated and rebooted my Mac as well as restarted Firefox. The Firefox Multi-Containers extension is still disabled and I can pay with PayPal without problems. AND I can still use containers, which are working the way they should if the extension were enabled.

Something is clearly amiss, because I shouldn't have access to containers at all if it's actually disabled, however, I hope they don't fix it because it's the fix I needed to use containers and pay merchants with PayPal. Weird, but I'll take it while it lasts.
It shouldn't be like that, try on new profile does it broken or it works, I never encounter the problem after disabling ETP. Like with VISA or Mastercard payment page.