Facebook problem

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
oldyellr

Facebook problem

Post by oldyellr »

Windows 7 on a Dell E6420 laptop. Firefox 103.0.2 (64-bit).
The last few weeks I've been having this strange problem when on Facebook. Scrolling down through posts, after a while it jumps 5 or 10 posts and I have to scroll back up to where I was, but it will keep doing it, so I usually just leave. It does not do that with Chrome. How to fix this?
jscher2000

Re: Facebook problem

Post by jscher2000 »

There's no fix for this at the moment, but there is a bug on file where the developers are trying to pin down what causes it. It can be demonstrated in versions as old as Firefox 78, so it seems the FB developers recently tripped a longstanding incompatibility.

I have not been able to replicate this problem on mine. Some users mentioned that it could be related to a lower vertical resolution or higher zoom, but trying to emulate that doesn't cause the problem on mine.

Hopefully someone will pinpoint the problem soon.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

If the problem is with scroll lock then it can happen if the Facebook page reloads new content via XHR and modifies the page in a way that confuses Firefox (i.e. Firefox isn't able to restore/keep the old position).
This might also be related to data stored in the disk cache or the B/F cache.
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

try disabling firefox's "autoscrolling."
find answers at "Mozilla Support":
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox
oldyellr

Post by oldyellr »

Nope, it's still doing it. :(
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

This has nothing to do with (auto) scrolling in Firefox, but about Firefox losing track of its position on the page when the page needs to be redrawn for some reason.
oldyellr

Post by oldyellr »

Facebook has been virtually unusable with Firefox due to the runaway scrolling, so I've been using Chrome. Now a few times I've seen Chrome jump 2 or 3 posts, but nothing like the 10 or 20 Firefox does. So it seems that Facebook has some work to do. But I'm not holding my breath because developers seem to be neglecting computers and concentrating on cellphone apps. :(
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can keep an eye on this bug.

1779404 - Scrolling jumps back and forth in the Facebook feed

Does this also happen if you scroll the page very slow to allow new content to get loaded as this might happen if you scroll rather fast and when new content further up arrives then the page can start jumping ?

https://github.com/webcompat/web-bugs/issues/106716
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

I don't know if it helps, but I notice it happens on my mainframe but not (or very rarely) on my older portable computer. It also typically happens in the following circumstances :

– On the main page (https://facebook.com), but not in forums.
– After 10 minutes of seeing the page (i.e. it takes some time before scrolling happens)… although it might be related to the point below.
– I notice that page jumps occur after I have pressed on "Page Down" or have scrolled using the mouse wheel. I don't think it has happened to me if move down by clicking in the grey bar.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
LiamA

Post by LiamA »

Nice to see I'm not the only one with this problem.