PC's FX synced to Android, but can't find PC's open tabs?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Flycaster

PC's FX synced to Android, but can't find PC's open tabs?

Post by Flycaster »

Firefox and FX mobile, windows 11, all of which are the latest updates.
I'm having a bear of a time trying to sync my desktop PC with my android (Samsung A13 5G, has A12's OS). I have the mobile Fx installed on my phone. I have been trying to following this Mozilla tutorial: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... ox-android. (Also, one of my hang-ups is with what is meant in the #1 item Tap the menu button....Mozilla.org/en-us.) I believe that I (somehow) have been able to sync, but I may be looking for a different result. I expected to see the PC's open tabs also appear in FX, but they didn't. BTW, I have correctly chosen those items I wanted to be synced and the PC's open tabs was chosen.) However, as kept fooling around with the phone's FX settings, I did come across those PC tabs as a listing (otherwise, I would not have known I was synced), but now I have no idea how to bring them up again. So, for those who are using mobile FX on an android, I'd appreciate knowing how to find those PC tabs again. Or, maybe, they could be made to show up when I first open the mobile FX? Thanks.
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
jscher2000

Re: PC's FX synced to Android, but can't find PC's open tabs

Post by jscher2000 »

Tab the tabs button (the one with the number in it) and there should be a third icon to view the list of tabs from other devices: regular, private, sync'd

The tabs on that list aren't opened automatically, but you can tap one to open it in your regular Android tabs.

Does that work on yours?
Flycaster

Solved: PC's FX synced to Android, but can't find PC's open

Post by Flycaster »

jscher2000 wrote:Tab the tabs button (the one with the number in it) and there should be a third icon to view the list of tabs from other devices: regular, private, sync'd

The tabs on that list aren't opened automatically, but you can tap one to open it in your regular Android tabs.

Does that work on yours?
Your leads have gotten me to my tabs from other devices. Actually, if I have it right, there were only two icons to choose: First the square icon with the number in it which is at the top of the opening FX. It appears that the number represents the number of devices covered; I have two, a PC and a tablet. The second icon (showing two devices,) on the next page, will open a listing of the open tabs on both devices. Thanks.
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

On Android, yes, it is the square with the number inside to indicate how many open tabs you have. If you have no tabs open, it should be a zero. Clicking on that gives you three options: Open tabs, Incognito Tab, and device tabs.

On desktop if you click the hamburger menu (the three bars at the far right of the toolbar) then click your Firefox email account at the very top, and any open tabs from other devices will be towards the bottom.

I just verified with both my Android and desktop by trying to open and close multiple tabs back and forth. As long as you have "Open tabs" to sync across devices you should see them all in those two places.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

"....it is the square with the number inside to indicate how many open tabs you have." I'm not sure about that as the square in question on my android has the number 2, but when opened, there is a whole list of opened tabs; and, the list is separated into two parts. One part represents tabs from my PC and the other part represents tabs from mu Surface. Thus, at least in my case, the number in the square represents the number of devices showing their tabs.

Thanks for the "hidden" tip re showing the open tabs in other devices while in FX. Rather cool.

EDIT: I think I have to take back my statement about the numbers in the square as it now appears that the number does represent the number of open tabs. However, when selecting that square box, the next screen with the devices icon comes up blank and I have to tap the Sync button on the lower right in order to get the open tabs to show. The syncing takes about a minute or so. Would be neat if the I didn't have to wait and the tabs would appear as soon as I selected the square box???
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

I noticed the slowness in syncing also. I think it depends on if Firefox is/was open or not. When I first opened it on Android I had to click the sync button, but since then as Firefox was opened, each time I checked tabs, it was pretty quick. I see the same on desktop. On a cold start/open, it takes about a minute before it syncs, but after that they are pretty instant.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

BobbyPhoenix wrote:I noticed the slowness in syncing also. I think it depends on if Firefox is/was open or not. When I first opened it on Android I had to click the sync button, but since then as Firefox was opened, each time I checked tabs, it was pretty quick. I see the same on desktop. On a cold start/open, it takes about a minute before it syncs, but after that they are pretty instant.
We're in agreement with your observation.