[Solved] Cookie Exceptions Not Remembered — Need a Fix

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BuddhaNature

[Solved] Cookie Exceptions Not Remembered — Need a Fix

Post by BuddhaNature »

Windows 10 Pro. 22H2 x64
Firefox 107.0.1 x64

I was trying to setup cookie Exceptions via Tools > Settings > Privacy & Security > Cookies and Site Data > Manage Exceptions

I have never used this setting before and set a website to "Allow" for its cookies, once I made the setting I clicked the Save Changes button. By my understanding, even though I have Firefox set to "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed", that the Allowed cookie would be retained.

I then closed down Firefox, restarted it, then went to the website I had set as allowed and found that things were working as I wanted — I was able to go to that forum website and still find myself logged-in without having to re-enter my login data.

Okay, I thought, that is useful to me so I'll go add some more sites to be Allowed. So I clicked on the Manage Exception... button and found that the site I had already allowed had disappeared from Exceptions GUI.

I then tried repeated experiments with this and every time, when I went to add new Exceptions I found that the previous Exceptions had just disappeared and no longer worked (if you wanted them back you had to re-enter them).

Does anyone know of a fix for this?
Last edited by BuddhaNature on December 5th, 2022, 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuddhaNature

Re: Cookie Exceptions Not Remembered — Need a Fix

Post by BuddhaNature »

Okay, no response here. I have now filed a bug report on this — can be seen here if anyone is interested: Cookie Exceptions Not Being Remembered/Saved Permanently
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Make sure you keep the "Site settings" as that includes the cookie exceptions.
You can check the "Clear history when Firefox closes" settings.
Note that in current releases using "Clear history when Firefox closes" to clear the Cookies honors exceptions (actually "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" should handle this for you).
tonynyc

Post by tonynyc »

Odd, for me expectations are retained but if ("Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed") is selected then the cookie itself is not retained...have to reenter login info, my work around for this is not to have Firefox delete cookies and data, but do it with CCleaner which allows to whitelist cookies, so it will delete everything else but not what's whitelisted, and when I go back to the whitelisted sites, I'm still logged in.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

tonynyc wrote:Odd, for me expectations are retained but if ("Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed") is selected then the cookie itself is not retained...have to reenter login info
Perhaps there is a mismatch between the way the exception and the cookie are set.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Okay. jscher2000 added the following comment to the bug report page:
In about:config, make sure the following preference has its default value of false: privacy.clearOnShutdown.siteSettings.
When I went to the preference in my Firefox it was set to true and the preference was shown in bold text which I understand means that it had been altered from the default value of false. How that got altered is beyond my ken, certainly I didn't knowingly do it.

In any case I followed jscher2000's instruction and now the cookies that I set as Allowed now manage to be retained in the GUI and I can add websites without the previous sites being cleared from the list. (I made no other adjustments to Firefox to achieve this, just followed jscher2000's instruction.)

Problem seems to be solved, happy bunny again :D Thanks for the comments and thoughts, greatly appreciated.
BuddhaNature

Re: [Solved] Cookie Exceptions Not Remembered — Need a Fix

Post by BuddhaNature »

I have an outstanding question. Where are cookies and site data stored? Are they stored in the Profile? So if I backup the Profile I keep the required site data and cookies?
therube

Post by therube »

cookies are stored in cookies.sqlite which is stored in your Profile Folder.

Site data is store in your Profile too.
(But which file/s are "site data" I wouldn't know particularly.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Site Settings:
content-prefs.sqlite => website settings like page zoom
permissions.sqlite => exceptions and other permissions