Can no longer turn off labels in Google Maps

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
semigeek

Can no longer turn off labels in Google Maps

Post by semigeek »

In the last month or so it's become impossible to remove labels from Satellite view in Google Maps. The checkbox for "Labels" is there (and not greyed out as in other views) but clicking it now does nothing. Help forum posts report this seems not to be problem in other browsers, only Firefox. Is there likely to be a workaround?
dickvl

Re: Can no longer turn off labels in Google Maps

Post by dickvl »

I don't think that there is a workaround possible for this issue with Google Maps in Firefox.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1395283
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

The poster there says: "i inspected the button element in 'firefox inspect' and found the attribute disabled="false". google maps is not honouring the attribute. when i remove the attribute, the button works. i cannot apply this across sessions though."

Just to expand on this, "edit HTML" allows deleting the attribute, and then the button can be clicked and labels are removed (even though the checkbox itself doesn't clear). Thanks, it's nice to have even this as a per-session workaround.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

I added a note about a bookmarklet as a possibly easier workaround:

* https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... er-1552151
* https://www.jeffersonscher.com/res/sumo ... GMapLabels
LiamA

Post by LiamA »

The same thing is happening to me. I also can't shift to global view.
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

jscher2000 wrote:I added a note about a bookmarklet as a possibly easier workaround
Thank you! That works beautifully.

So well that I wonder... the sidebar menu in Maps keeps getting uglier and more intrusive. Could a bookmarklet load Maps and automatically click its collapse button?
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

LiamA wrote:The same thing is happening to me. I also can't shift to global view.
It still works. There is only a difference between Globe View and normal when you zoom out to a continental perspective.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

semigeek wrote:
jscher2000 wrote:I added a note about a bookmarklet as a possibly easier workaround
Thank you! That works beautifully.

So well that I wonder... the sidebar menu in Maps keeps getting uglier and more intrusive. Could a bookmarklet load Maps and automatically click its collapse button?
I suspect due to the time required to load the map and render all the buttons that those couldn't be combined into the same script, but someone who is more of a wizard might think of a way.
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

It has recently become possible again to remove labels from Satellite View in Google Maps without using jscher's bookmarklet.

Also the sidebar menu I complained about above is no longer present by default.

I have no idea where Google gets feedback about any of this (I see no way to leave any) but it is nice occasionally to get things restored to how they used to work.