Changing Settings Automatically

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BorgInvasionReturns

Changing Settings Automatically

Post by BorgInvasionReturns »

I have found out my company is reverting my (Windows) Firefox settings because they are Edge-happy (with limited options to config). I have found whenever I load Firefox, a couple of settings are being changed and I have to change back. Only two I noticed so far because they impact me greatly.

> Under Privacy and Security, "Ask to save logins" is disabled. I have to reenable it in order to use that function, including autofill.
> History's settings are also set for "use custom settings" instead of the normal "remember everything."

I have to keep fixing those when i remember to do so.

Is there a way to have some batch file or script or something to always make the settings the way I prefer to be set correctly every time I open the browser?

Thank you.
kleeg

Re: Changing Settings Automatically

Post by kleeg »

Not sure if correct / will work, but maybe:

In your Profile directory (which you can find going to address about:support), create a "user.js" file or modify it if it already exists, adding:

Code: Select all

user_pref("browser.formfill.enable", true);
user_pref("signon.autofillForms", true);

user_pref("places.history.enabled", true);
Not sure especially about the last one.

For some reason Firefox doesn't document these/any settings.
Used this as a rough reference:
https://github.com/pyllyukko/user.js/bl ... er/user.js
BorgInvasionReturns

Thanks.
I tried to test out one of the entries, the formfill entry, but the user.js file keeps getting overwritten on each browser exit/start. Even if I just add the word "test" to the file, it is gone when the browser opens or closes. I made a batch file to do it for me while browser running, but Settings does not take those changes.
Trying to play around with this idea more.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Did you ask your IT department why they aren't allowing you to use Firefox ?
Can you access the about:logins page as it is possible to block this via policy/GPO ?

Are you using the Primary Password as you should be able to use "Use Saved Login/Password" in the right-click context menu even with "Ask to save Logins and Passwords for websites" disabled ?
If you use the PP then you need to login to the Password Manager by entering the PP when prompted on opening about:logins and via the security device manager (Software Security Device -> Login).
BorgInvasionReturns

dickvl, yes of course. But they are a group of hundreds of people in another country (hired by my USA company), they only do what they are told is better for the company. They want everyone to use M$ Edge with no password saving, because it is expected everyone remembers hundreds of logins for users. Yet, I been using Firefox and a dozen addons for years for productivity. I am just a number to them. Not an overly paid VP who gets all the credit that my teams do. So, at times, a bunch of us have to do things on our own to get our jobs done. So I come here looking for options to deal with Firefox in some form. Not on company runarounds.

No am not using primary password.
kleeg

Post by kleeg »

Consider using an external password manager, which I think is a better strategy anyway. Like KeePass.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Are there policies active if you check this on the about:policies page ?
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/se ... enterprise

Did you check the right-click context menu on the username and password field as I think that with "Ask to save Logins and Passwords for websites" you should still be able to use "Use Saved Login/Password" to fill a login since you do not use the PP ?
You would have to use "Create New Login" manually to save a new login.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ad ... rd-manager
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pa ... dit-logins
BorgInvasionReturns

kleeg, I tried but in order to get Keepass to work with Firefox, I need the addon KeeFox. But, I am all of the sudden blocked from installing addons now. I downloaded it and FILE>OPEN and am blocked. I got a dozen other addons I use so this blockage must have been enabled after September.

dickvl, there are two entries set by the company:

Extensions
Install "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\SysTrack\\LsiAgent\\Utilities\\lsiwebhook@lakesidesoftware.com.xpi"
Locked "lsiwebhook@lakesidesoftware.com"

What I like to try doing is making a batch file to run after I load Firefox. The file I would execute after Firefox is loaded and running. It would have the commands to change the settings for me without me having to go in manually to do it. Not sure how I can go about that if possible.