How to remove Firefox 109 New Extensions Button?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dickvl

Re: How to remove Firefox 109 New Extensions Button?

Post by dickvl »

Note that you will need this button in the future to control Manifest V3 extensions.
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2022/05 ... ext-steps/
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

thomaz wrote:With Firefox 109 i have this unnecessary new "Puzzle" Button in the upper right corner.
When i click on it i get to the "Reccomendations" Page.
Of course i tried to remove it by using "Customize Toolbar" but it isnt movebale or removeable.
So, how can get rid of it?
What was wrong with the "Tools>Add-ons and Themes"? Every week there is something new that is supposed to make the app easier to use. Why don't they just leave the interface alone :roll:
Last edited by skuddle on January 28th, 2023, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4291
* Firefox 124; Thunderbird 115.8
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Like I wrote above, you will need this button if you start using MV3 extensions at some time in the future.
MV3 extensions are no longer enabled on a webpage by default and you need to enable them for each website (origin) where you want to use it.
Using the Extensions button is the only way to grant permission (it is the only UI for managing permissions), so without using this button all MV3 extensions will stop working.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

dickvl wrote:You can look at this pref on the about:config page and toggle the pref to false.
extensions.unifiedExtensions.enabled = false
Close and restart Firefox to make the change effective and hide the new Extensions button
Well... with today's Nightly this pref is still there in about:config however the pref now does nothing to affect the Extensions button. Its Back!
Nightly build: 111, today's build. Don't see right off what may have killed the pref and leaving it behind.
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

That little puzzle piece should be an opt-in and not something that one has root around in the guts of FF to get rid of.
Last edited by skuddle on January 28th, 2023, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4291
* Firefox 124; Thunderbird 115.8
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

Perhaps someone could answer a question I posed in another thread.

With V109 is it still possible to have the icons for individual installed add-ons on the toolbar, or are they only accessible through the new Extensions button?

I am particularly thinking of Bitwarden and NoScript. These are two add-ons I constantly access when browsing, and having to open up the Extensions button to get to them to login to a site or allow a script is going to be a real pain.

Thanks.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

I've been following this thread and reverted back to having the icon back on my toolbar, but I'm still a bit confused...

I have 5 extension listed in the drop down box that are not on my tool bar that tell me the either they can or can't read and change data on a given site, like Mozillazine.

How will this change when Manifest V3 is enabled, or will it?

Just a bit of clarification would be great.

Thank you.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

This Manifest V3 link in the 'zine Tech forum may give some insight as to where things are at present.
Keep in mind things change.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Thank you - I did read that thread when it was first published.

But, I'm asking a practical question about managing those extensions now listed in that drop down box...

What will change, if anything once this all shakes out?

Will I continue to see just those 5 extensions that can be managed at a page/site level?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can right-click an item in the Extensions button drop-down list and click "Pin to Toolbar".
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

Ashleyj wrote:With V109 is it still possible to have the icons for individual installed add-ons on the toolbar, or are they only accessible through the new Extensions button
yes. you can still have extensions-"icons" (buttons) on the toolbar.

the extensions-button is like for an "overflow," for extensions-"icons" (buttons) that you want hidden and not displaying on the toolbar.

you can choose to have the extensions-"icons" (buttons) displayed on the toolbar or hidden in the extensions-button-overflow.
find answers at "Mozilla Support":
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

redwolfe_98 wrote:
Ashleyj wrote:With V109 is it still possible to have the icons for individual installed add-ons on the toolbar, or are they only accessible through the new Extensions button
yes. you can still have extensions-"icons" (buttons) on the toolbar.

the extensions-button is like for an "overflow," for extensions-"icons" (buttons) that you want hidden and not displaying on the toolbar.

you can choose to have the extensions-"icons" (buttons) displayed on the toolbar or hidden in the extensions-button-overflow.
Thanks for that information. I was a little concerned that all the add-ons would disappear from the toolbar.

I will allow the update then.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

dickvl,

Just for a point of reference, I can't right click on any of those extensions currently in the drop down box and pin to the toolbar.

That option is not there.

If I right click on the extension icon itself, there is also no option to pin, just a greyed out pin to Overflow Menu.
xanthon

Post by xanthon »

You can click the cog next to the extension and select the first option, Pin to Toolbar.