export ONE Firefox bookmark folder?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
danll

export ONE Firefox bookmark folder?

Post by danll »

Am I correct that there is no way to export a single Firefox bookmark folder? I know I can export the whole set of bookmarks, and then edit the file down to the folder I want to keep, but I have a load of bookmarks,and that isn't handy. I know that Chrome has this option.
BruceAWittmeier

Re: export ONE Firefox bookmark folder?

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

It appears you can only drag/drop one at a time to a Windows folder or cut from the context menu.
However, when adding back to the bookmarks file you can tag several or a block and drag/drop them back to a folder in the bookmarks file.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
danll

Post by danll »

I'm using a Mac,with FF 109.0, From the "Library" where "Manage Bookmarks" drops you, I can't drag/drop a bookmark folder anywhere. If I try to drag/drop a bookmark folder from the "Bookmarks" pulldown menu, I get a .webloc file that seems to point to one of the bookmarks in that folder. So I don't see any way to export a whole bookmark folder.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can copy selected bookmarks and folders to the clipboard and paste them in HTML capable editor (flavor: text/html).
That should give you a format that is similar to an HTML backup (A href).

Code: Select all

<DL><DT>mozillaZine</DT>\n<DD>\n<A HREF="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3106252">http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3106252</A>\n</DD>\n</DL>\n
danll

Post by danll »

Ah, clicking on the folder, copying it, and pasting it into a html-capable editor works very well. That does exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you!
morat

Post by morat »

It's annoying that copy and paste doesn't work with different profiles.

You should be able to copy selected bookmarks to the clipboard and paste them into another profile.
rebop

Post by rebop »

Sorry, not time to explain in detail but this is how I could keep my personal and business bookmarks in control by copying only selected folders and importing them in another computer. Hope it makes sense.

Save Subset of Bookmarks:
1. Export all as html
2. Open the exported file in Firefox
3. Select desired subset
4. Right click and View Selection Source
5. Save highlighted as save page htm only
6. import saved page for just the subset
danll

Post by danll »

Yes, that's another way to do it. Exporting the whole banana as an html file, and then selecting and copying from that what you want into another html file. But that requires that once you made the original, and possibly very large ,html file, you have to scroll all the way through it to find the piece you want.

As to copying selected bookmarks, that doesn't really help much, if the folder you want to archive has a hundred bookmarks. The question was how to copy a whole folder at once.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Works for me to copy selected bookmarks to another profile via the clipboard via text/x-moz-place (JSON) as I ue this all time to transfer/update bookmarklets.
It only doesn't work with a folder as in this case only the ID is placed on the clipboard to make moving a folder tree as fast as possible, so need to create the folder tree yourself and paste the bookmarks in each folder.
This is only useful if there aren't sub folders in a folder.
danll

Post by danll »

Looks to me that, as you originally suggested, you click on a folder, copy it, and drop it in an html-capable editor, all subfolders are preserved and, it appears, even the separators. What's not to like? You open that folder up in any browser, and click on any links to open them.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Yes, using a copy and paste I suggested above is for your use case.
Some of us use multiple Firefox versions and profiles and sometimes want to transfer/copy bookmarks to other profiles and in that case using the clipboard is much easier and faster than using intermittent files.