Any ill effects from focing a user to log off with FF open?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
slickrcbd

Any ill effects from focing a user to log off with FF open?

Post by slickrcbd »

My mother is having some health problems and I'm taking care of her.
I'm also letting her occasionally use my computer.
She's got a bad habit of walking away from the computer and not signing off. I also don't know her login password. However, I control the admin account.
I've opened Task Manager and noticed that Firefox is open on her account when I went to forcibly log it out.

Is there a good chance of corrupting her profile by doing so?
I seem to recall a few times my history was FUBAR after a power failure, so I ask if using Task Manager to log out her user account when Firefox is open will cause problems for her.
She's got a bad knee, so asking her to come back to log off is a literal pain for her, and it might be easier for me to just log her off myself.

Otherwise I'll have to get her to share her password for me, unless somebody knows another solution for the person with the Windows 10 administrator account but not the password for the limited account to easily take care of this situation other than starting Task Manager as the admin, clicking on the users account, right-clicking on her account and choosing "sign off"?
LIMPET235

Re: Any ill effects from focing a user to log off with FF op

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Closing Firefox by shutting down the PC or turning it off will cause corruption to the files that Firefox is in the process of creating & completing.

Always best to close Firefox by selecting > File > Exit.

Or you can hit the "red/white" X. (I've never had a problem closing Firefox that way.)

If possible, try to obtain your Mother's password.....JIC.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
morat

Post by morat »

The admin can get the password of another user account by clicking the "Manage another account" link.

How to Manage User Accounts
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001911.htm

You could gracefully close the single process Firefox using an external program like NirCmd.

However, I never tested the NirCmd closeprocess command with multiprocess Firefox.

NirCmd Close and Kill Process
http://nircmd.nirsoft.net/closeprocess.html
http://nircmd.nirsoft.net/killprocess.html

How to Run a Program as a Different User in Windows
http://woshub.com/run-program-as-differ ... r-windows/
slickrcbd

Post by slickrcbd »

morat wrote:The admin can get the password of another user account by clicking the "Manage another account" link.
How do you OBTAIN the password?
I know how to CHANGE the password to whatever I want, but then the next time she wants to use the computer she'd have to use whatever password I chose to log in.

Mind you, I haven't tried to figure this out since I was in college with Windows XP 20-some years ago, but I'm sure it was impossible to decrypt a password using the built-in tools (Loftcrack could do it) with Windows XP.

None of the Microsoft Press books for Windows 7, 10, Server 2003, 2008, 2012, or 2016 certifications mention this being possible.

The key issue is that by the time I get to the computer, the user account is locked and I have to close things using my admin rights.
Last edited by slickrcbd on February 7th, 2023, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morat

Post by morat »

Sorry, I was wrong. The admin can reset another user's password but they can never retrieve it.
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript