Firefox crashes far too often

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ptoye

Firefox crashes far too often

Post by ptoye »

In the last few weeks I've noticed that Firefox is crashing at least once a day, and usually several times a day. It's very sweet of them to say sorry, but wouldn't mending the code be a better response? ](*,)
Peter
TheVisitor

Re: Firefox crashes far too often

Post by TheVisitor »

Please enter in the address/url bar: about:support
Scroll down to 'Crash Reports'
Copy and Paste here 2 or 3 links to the crash-report (right-click on link > Copy Link)
ptoye

Post by ptoye »

Thanks. Of course, since I posted it hasn't crashed! I'll do what you suggest. But there's not much point in Mozilla saying that a crash report will be sent when no action is taken. Given the frequency of crashes, I can't surely be the only person with this problem!
Peter
therube

Post by therube »

about:crashes should show your crashes (including past ones).

Copy & paste the last few 'View' links here.

Aside from the general ... that FF is these days, it is nonetheless generally, stable.
So yes, you might be the only person with this problem ;-).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
ptoye

Post by ptoye »

OIC Thanks @therube for that - I'd not realised you could see crash details. And now I've looked at them it's gobbledegook as far as I'm concerned :)
Anyway, I've submitted them - do you know if Mozilla ever report back to the originator?
Peter
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

ptoye wrote:OIC Thanks @therube for that - I'd not realised you could see crash details. And now I've looked at them it's gobbledegook as far as I'm concerned :)
Anyway, I've submitted them - do you know if Mozilla ever report back to the originator?
If there is a high number of crashes that have the same signature will cause someone to look at it at Mozilla. They will not answer directly to the submitter.

Could you copy/paste as noted above 2 or 3 so we can have a look at the crash-report ? Would help determine if yours is a isolated cause or maybe help
to see if a bug report has been opened on the crash signature.
ptoye

Post by ptoye »

Here are the last 3 crashes. I think it happens when I close a tab.
https://crash-stats.mozilla.org/report/ ... fc40230323
https://crash-stats.mozilla.org/report/ ... 1ec0230323
https://crash-stats.mozilla.org/report/ ... 85d0230323

Hope this helps. There seem to be quite a lot of bug reports of this type, marked 'Fixed'
Peter
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

In the crash annotations there is AsyncShutdownTimeout data available, but it shows that all items them need to be cleared are cleared: "cache": "cleared", "cookies": "cleared", "offlineApps": "cleared"
So I'm not sure what is wrong here or that that actual crash has another cause.
As a test, you can try to disable: privacy_sanitize_sanitizeOnShutdown => false

I notice you have accessibility active: AccessibilityClient : rf-chrome-nm-host.exe|9.4.1.1

Code: Select all

{
 "phase": "Places Clients shutdown",
 "conditions": [
  {
   "name": "sanitize.js: Sanitize on shutdown",
   "state": {
    "progress": {
     "isShutdown": true,
     "clearHonoringExceptions": true,
     "sanitizationPrefs": {
      "privacy_sanitize_sanitizeOnShutdown": true,
      "privacy_clearOnShutdown_cookies": true,
      "privacy_clearOnShutdown_history": false,
      "privacy_clearOnShutdown_formdata": false,
      "privacy_clearOnShutdown_downloads": false,
      "privacy_clearOnShutdown_cache": true,
      "privacy_clearOnShutdown_sessions": false,
      "privacy_clearOnShutdown_offlineApps": true,
      "privacy_clearOnShutdown_siteSettings": false,
      "privacy_clearOnShutdown_openWindows": false
     },
     "advancement": "session-permission",
     "cache": "cleared",
     "cookies": "cleared",
     "offlineApps": "cleared",
     "step": "promises:0"
    }
   },
   "filename": "resource:///modules/Sanitizer.sys.mjs",
   "lineNumber": 158,
   "stack": [
    "resource:///modules/Sanitizer.sys.mjs:onStartup:158",
    "resource:///modules/BrowserGlue.sys.mjs:BG__onWindowsRestored:2255",
    "resource:///modules/BrowserGlue.sys.mjs:BG_observe:953",
    "resource:///modules/sessionstore/SessionStore.sys.mjs:initializeWindow:1690",
    "resource:///modules/sessionstore/SessionStore.sys.mjs:onBeforeBrowserWindowShown/<:1868"
   ]
  }
 ]
}
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

what i notice is that the crash reports show the person as using firefox 109 while the forum is showing that they are using firefox 111. something is mixed up.
find answers at "Mozilla Support":
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox
ptoye

Post by ptoye »

redwolfe_98 wrote:what i notice is that the crash reports show the person as using firefox 109 while the forum is showing that they are using firefox 111. something is mixed up.
Maybe because FireFox has updated since the last crash. But I've just looked at the update history, and that shows that I updated to version 111 on 19 March. Version 109 was updated to 110 on 17 February, which is well before the crashes I posted. Odd.
Peter
ptoye

Post by ptoye »

dickvl wrote: As a test, you can try to disable: privacy_sanitize_sanitizeOnShutdown => false

I notice you have accessibility active: AccessibilityClient : rf-chrome-nm-host.exe|9.4.1.1
Thanks @dickvl. I'll try that and see how it goes. But first I'll update to 111.1 which seems to be available now and see if the crashes go away.

Don't know about accessibility. I'm sure I've never switched it on and a search for 'accessibility' in the Settings menu gives a blank. How do I switch it off?
Peter
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

I hadn't checked the CrashTime in the reports, but the crashes happened in February, so you can ignore them.
CrashTime : Sun, 19 Feb 2023 13:01:48 GMT

Don't you have recent crash reports from the current release or are this merely tab crashes that may not generate a crash report (i.e. do you get the crash reporter)?
ptoye

Post by ptoye »

@dickvl Sorry, don't understand this. I sent you the most modern of the reports. Looking at them there's no 'Crash time' field - where do you find that?.

And it just crashed again when I closed a tab. https://crash-stats.mozilla.org/report/ ... 3b70230327 I hope you will see that the install time was 19 March (111.1).

I'm sure I clicked the button which asks if I want to report the crash, but it came up as not having been submitted. Is there a bug there too?
Peter
BoogaHead

Post by BoogaHead »

Have you turned off auto updates in the registry?
ptoye

Post by ptoye »

No. How am I expected to know about this? What's the key and the value? It's normally regarded as very bad manners for a program to need a manual registry hack. If Firefox is going down this route, I think it's time to look for another browser :)
Peter