Text is smaller than minimum size

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
slickrcbd

Text is smaller than minimum size

Post by slickrcbd »

Why is the text showing up below the "minimum size" I set on GoG's forums?
I just installed "Font Finder" and it is reporting 12px, when I set the minimum size for both "Latin" and "Unicode" to 16, with 20 for the regular fonts.
In addition, I went to "about:config", entered "minimum-size" and set everything there to 15, with all the sizes for fixed, monospace, and variable to 18 (my eyesight has degraded since I did this).
So why am I getting tiny text at 100% zoom?

Imagetinytext by slickrcbd, on Flickr, on Flickr
Last edited by slickrcbd on May 30th, 2023, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LinuxUserSince1991

Re: Text is smaller than minimum size

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

slickrcbd wrote:Why is the text showing up below the "minimum size" I set on GoG's forums?
I just installed "Font Finder" and it is reporting 12px, when I set the minimum size for both "Latin" and "Unicode" to 16, with 20 for the regular fonts.
Do you have an "Other writing systems" choice? In settings, where you've already set Latin and Unicode. If it does exist, change its settings, too, and see if that helps.
xanthon

Post by xanthon »

If you can't fix it, try this extension instead. It allows you to set a minimum font size per site (and, possibly, per page).

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/zoom-page-we/
slickrcbd

Post by slickrcbd »

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:
slickrcbd wrote:Why is the text showing up below the "minimum size" I set on GoG's forums?
Do you have an "Other writing systems" choice? In settings, where you've already set Latin and Unicode. If it does exist, change its settings, too, and see if that helps.
EVERYTHING is set to have a minimum of 15, and the other values to 18, except for the "Latin" and "Other writing systems" which are set to a minimum of 16 and the other values to 20.
xanthon wrote:If you can't fix it, try this extension instead. It allows you to set a minimum font size per site (and, possibly, per page).

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/zoom-page-we/
Has that been fixed? It hasn't worked on a per site basis in almost four years, not since the switch to web extensions.
Last edited by slickrcbd on May 30th, 2023, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

dickvl wrote:Did you check this in the Inspector ?
https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org ... inspector/
I think this is a good idea in case the extension is reporting the style rules for that inspected text rather than the computed/actual size.
The Fonts panel should show the actual size. https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org ... index.html
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

I guess the Font Inspector doesn't show the actual size, either. Hmm. That's strange, it definitely increases when I set a large minimum font size.

slickrcbd

Post by slickrcbd »

The problem is that it doesn't LOOK like 16 pixels on the screen either, and what Font Inspector is reporting looks about right, which is below what I set the minimum font to be, which is why I made the subject "text smaller than minimum size". What I want to know is why the text is showing up smaller than the minimum-size setting at 100% zoom.

Also THIS site is now giving me tiny text as well. In troubleshooting mode at that, as I tried restarting into it just to see if an addon was causing this. I zoomed in in Paint and I count 11 pixels for the "h".

ImageMozillazoine tiny by slickrcbd, on Flickr

ImageMozillazoine tiny2 by slickrcbd, on Flickr
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Keep in mind that increasing the minimum/default font size can cause issues in case of text that is positioned absolutely and text can disappear or overlap.
It is usually better to zoom the page via full page zoom.
Settings -> General -> Language and Appearance -> Zoom
slickrcbd

Post by slickrcbd »

dickvl wrote:Keep in mind that increasing the minimum/default font size can cause issues in case of text that is positioned absolutely and text can disappear or overlap.
It is usually better to zoom the page via full page zoom.
Settings -> General -> Language and Appearance -> Zoom
and half the time when there is narrow text and super wide margins, increasing the full zoom instead of text only actually makes the margins BIGGER, so there is less space for the bigger text. I wind up with an inch of text with half a foot of whitespace on either side by the time it is readable on my 19" screen.

P.S. Why do I need to increase the text zoom to 50% to make the text readable on this forum? It should be a minimum of 16. At 100% FontFinder reports 12px, while at 50% it reports 18px.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

slickrcbd wrote:Also THIS site is now giving me tiny text as well. In troubleshooting mode at that, as I tried restarting into it just to see if an addon was causing this. I zoomed in in Paint and I count 11 pixels for the "h".
Let me start by saying that I use 133% zoom to make this site readable, rather than trying to manipulate font sizes. (Proportional/full zoom, not text-only zoom.)

For the left column (username, posts, etc.), and for the user agent string, my Fx uses Verdana at 10px (first font on the font-family list). In your screenshot, those appear pretty large so the minimum seems to work there.

For the post text, my Fx uses Trebuchet MS at 12px (second font on the font-family list after Lucida Grande). In your screenshot, this text appears undersized, but maybe that is 16px for whatever font that is. If you manually set the font size to 8px or 16px or 24px using the Inspector, does it make any difference? You would think going below 16px would not change it if Firefox is observing the minimum, but going above 16px would be noticeable.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

I use code in userContent.css to increase the font-size:10px; as set for the body element and use a mono-space font for the posts.

Code: Select all

body {
	/* Text-Sizing with ems: http://www.clagnut.com/blog/348/ */
	font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
	color: #828282;
	background-color: #FFFFFF;
	/*font-size: 62.5%;			 This sets the default font size to be equivalent to 10px */
	font-size: 10px;
	margin: 0;
	padding: 12px 0;
}