Unwanted search ability in the address bar. Remove it!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
lolaiii

Unwanted search ability in the address bar. Remove it!

Post by lolaiii »

Even though I selected in Settings for search to NOT be in the address bar itself
I have NO choice in the next item in settings: "This is your default search engine in the address bar and search bar. You can switch it at any time."
I DO NOT WANT IT IN THE ADDRESS BAR, yet the selection does not include NONE.
How can I get it OUT of the address bar?
jscher2000

Re: Unwanted search ability in the address bar. Remove it!

Post by jscher2000 »

lolaiii wrote:Even though I selected in Settings for search to NOT be in the address bar itself
I have NO choice in the next item in settings: "This is your default search engine in the address bar and search bar. You can switch it at any time."
I DO NOT WANT IT IN THE ADDRESS BAR, yet the selection does not include NONE.
How can I get it OUT of the address bar?
Which problem is this?

(A) When you start typing in the search bar in the built-in Firefox Home / new tab page, the cursor jumps up to the address bar.

In about:config, toggle the following preference to false to keep the cursor within the page:

browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.improvesearch.handoffToAwesomebar

(B) When you type foo in the address bar and press Enter, instead of reporting that the server could not be found, Firefox sends foo to Google or another search engine.

In about:config, toggle the following preference to false to disable searching from the address bar unless you click one of the search engine options:

keyword.enabled

(C) Something else (please explain in more detail)
lolaiii

Post by lolaiii »

I think (A) is not only the problem, but also your solution looks to be right on. Thank you!
lolaiii

Post by lolaiii »

In poking around trying to solve my original problem I have disabled FF from helping complete what I am typing in the address bar. For example I frequently go to youtube but if I do not fill in the complete address including .com as in: youtube.com, in the address bar I get: "Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at youtube. Did you mean to go to www.youtube.com?" How can I fix this without undoing the search solution?
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

Autocomplete and search are entirely different. I find autocomplete useful and wouldn't disable it, but that's your choice. In order to avoid this error I would simply bookmark a site like YouTube for frequent access, and click there instead of using the urlbar at all.

By the way you may find autocomplete less irritating if you set browser.urlbar.suggest.searches = false.
lolaiii

Post by lolaiii »

So, how can I get autocomplete back without affecting my success in solving my original search problem?
lolaiii

Post by lolaiii »

I posted a follow up question on 30 Jun and got a non answer from "semi..." So I asked again on 29 Jul. I'm 6 short of 100 views but 0 answers, helpful or not. I'm hoping somebody will jump in. jscher2000 you helped big time with my first question, can you help me now, please?
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

you can fix all of the problems that you have created with your tweaks by creating a new firefox profile:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... x-profiles#
find answers at "Mozilla Support":
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

lolaiii wrote: July 29th, 2023, 3:15 pm So, how can I get autocomplete back without affecting my success in solving my original search problem?
Did you set browser.urlbar.autoFill to false? If so, set that back to true and see whether it gets you where you want to be.