MozillaZine

Google Exclusion

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Gredoubt_987

Post Posted March 22nd, 2009, 8:48 pm

Can anyone advise me why I get this message from Google when I submit a query:

" We're sorry...

... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google. "

I get this message using Firefox 3.0.7, but NOT if using Internet Explorer. WinXP SP3. Office 2007, AVG Free edition up to date, Spywareblaster up to date. Signed on to Google in both instances. Why one and not the other? As far as I am concerned, this computer has never had a virus. Any help appreciated. Can't find a way to email Google to ask them...

elist

Post Posted March 22nd, 2009, 9:04 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_search

"Error messages

Some searches will give a 403 Forbidden error with the text

"We're sorry... ... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now. We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software. We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google."

sometimes followed by a CAPTCHA prompt.[12]

The screen was first reported in 2005, and was a response to the heavy use of Google by search engine optimization companies to check on ranks of sites they were optimizing. The message may also be triggered by high volumes of different searches from a single IP address. Google apparently uses the Google cookie as part of its determination of refusing service.[13] The error usually occurs after the 11th page in your google search. The block is generally removed after a day."

Gredoubt_987

Post Posted March 22nd, 2009, 9:12 pm

Thanks for that. There's one problem there. It can't be dure to a high volume of searches from my single IP address, otherwise IE would receive the error as well. I'll have to see if I can find the cookie.

Return to Firefox Support