How to remove Ask search

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Grumpus

Re: How to remove Ask search

Post by Grumpus »

You could always block the urls and IPs for Ask.com or do an in depth search for the software on your system.
Might be either an ask.xml; ask.exe, xhtml or even an ask-bin
I'd try and find the file and remove it's components and remnants before blocking the IPs/Urls.
Maybe write a letter to the ask.com people, don't use email or you'll get spammed into oblivion.
If you haven't removed the package it could be automatically updating, even though Firefox did not provide it.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Oma1942

Post by Oma1942 »

Daifne wrote:Basically, Ask.com acts very much like malware, which I consider it to be.
Avira free used to flag the ask toolbar prior to them bundling it with their free AV. :roll:
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Breeze wrote:

Daifne, you are right. I remember when I reinstalled Foxit it had the Ask Toolbar.
I saw no way to opt out of it. And it's been on my computer for a few months now.
That is one thing.
Now answer me this- the other day after I updated FF to version 6- BAM! Ask is in the url search at the top of the page. You can't tell me FF didn't do that.
I mean why is it after I update is when Ask gets in the url box and I have to go into About:config and change it? I mean who is changing it? Certainly not me. I hate Ask.

You already answered your own question. The part I added the red to is your answer. You never got rid of it after Foxit installed it, so it's still there.
chipman_p0222

Post by chipman_p0222 »

how do i remove ask toolbar unistalled and its still thereon mozilla firefox
sunil.1218

Post by sunil.1218 »

thanks a lot guys finally i removed that disgusting ask search.............
WindUp

Post by WindUp »

Everyone should boycott this search engine. It is MALWARE. It installs itself without authorisation on the back of legitimnate downloads. It changes settings without permission and causes great inconvenience trying to remove it from your computer. Don't use it. Don't encourage them. Support ethical businesses. Check out the comment on Wikipedia.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

WindUp wrote:Everyone should boycott this search engine. It is MALWARE. It installs itself without authorisation on the back of legitimnate downloads. It changes settings without permission and causes great inconvenience trying to remove it from your computer. Don't use it. Don't encourage them. Support ethical businesses. Check out the comment on Wikipedia.

I think you may be confused. Ask Toolbar isn't infiltrating your downloads. On the contrary, they have a contract with your "legitimate downloads" to distribute their software so they can make a buck on something they otherwise do completely for free, and you gave them permission when you agreed to the Terms and Services and clicked the "Automatic Install" button instead of the "Custom Install" button. A vast majority of "legitimate downloads" now ship with this kind of garbage. And the big problem here is that some of the companies shipping this junk are for plugins you need to view average web content like Flash, Java, and PDF's (at least we can opt out of using Acrobat for PDF's) so boycotting amounts to basically crippling your web experience. Have fun in your search for "ethical" software companies... currently the only major company I know of that distributes their freeware software without some kind of crapware is Mozilla.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Poppy Paulie

Post by Poppy Paulie »

I dont know how I picked up the ASK toolbar. Its a cursed parasite and i agonised and tried for a week to eliminate it. Eventually the solution was SIMPLE when you eventually discover it. On the Softpaedia site you can download a tiny FREE program called "ASK remover.exe". Its zipped so you need to unpack it from the designated directory you download it to. It works like MAGIC and removes the cursed parasite program

Happy Computing

Post by Guest »

nzguy wrote:In Firefox 2, I somehow (unintentionally) managed to download and install the Ask Toolbar. I removed it by going to tools -> add-ons -> uninstall. But still, if I search for a non-existent URL, I am taken to Ask. How do I stop that happening and revert to the standard "page not available" message?

Is there anyway to remove the Google, etc., search box from the navigation toolbar in Firefox 2?

System restore to a previous date gets rid of it.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Doubtful.
See > http://www.ghacks.net/2011/03/04/ask-to ... uninstall/

Locking due to age of the OP.
If you have any problems, this is still available or you can start a new thread.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)