How to open/read JSON (Firefox bookmarks) files

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
son0fhobs

Re: How to open/read JSON (Firefox bookmarks) files

Post by son0fhobs »

alterna, thanks so much for the help! Saved the day!!!
It was still a pain to go through all the links, but you had the most beneficial help on all the web (that I could find anyway). Thanks again.

Post by Guest »

I just recently installed W7 and was about to go bonkers b/c I thought I lost my bookmarks from my old FF. I googled and ended up here, but with a quick messing around with the latest version of FF... it already had built in support for this? I'm not sure this was already well known out there or not, but just incase another lost soul finds their way here...

Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Restore > Choose File

It will let you import from a JSON as long as it isn't corrupt, so add-ons needed.

Post by Guest »

:P

*NO add-ons needed.
Dan12345

Post by Dan12345 »

The Happiest Kid This Morning wrote:OMG- ALTERNA Thank You- you helped save my live- so many assignments and music lost-
PIUS- maybe this will help--- I've been trying things all evening-
Copy all the bookmark JSON/ Html files to a folder on the desk top, - select a later bookmark {before the previous Firefox was installed} Use firefox to open the file-bookmark the open page and name it as Alterna said " javascript:(function(){var E=document.getElementsByTagName('PRE')[0],T=E.innerHTML,i=0,r1,r2;t=new Array();while(/("uri":"([^"]*)")/g.exec(T)){r1=RegExp.$1;r2=RegExp.$2;if(/^https?:/.exec(r2)){t[i++]='['+(i)+']:<a href='+r2+'>'+r2+'<\/a>';}}with(window.open().document){for(i=0;t[i];i++)write(t[i]+'<br>');close();}})(); " minus the " " marks ^_^ uninstall Firefox- install the newest version and it restored my Bookmarks YAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If not Keep trying- I had done numerous Guarantee fixes before finding this page ^_^

Hi, could you please format this paragraph so that I know where a step begins and ends? It's difficult to understand. Sorry, don't mean to sound like a jerk. lol It's just that if it's in a step-by-step format, it would be easier to follow. Thank you much! :)

Dan
Happy American

Post by Happy American »

Guest wrote:I just recently installed W7 and was about to go bonkers b/c I thought I lost my bookmarks from my old FF. I googled and ended up here, but with a quick messing around with the latest version of FF... it already had built in support for this? I'm not sure this was already well known out there or not, but just incase another lost soul finds their way here...

Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Restore > Choose File

It will let you import from a JSON as long as it isn't corrupt, so add-ons needed.

OMG!!!!!!! Thank you so much! I can't believe how easy that was! I was about to give up and then I read your post. I was about to type in my bookmarks MANUALLY! You saved me tons of time! Bless your soul! :)

-Happy American (lol)
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Hi, could you please format this paragraph so that I know where a step begins and ends? It's difficult to understand. Sorry, don't mean to sound like a jerk. lol It's just that if it's in a step-by-step format, it would be easier to follow. Thank you much! :)

Dan

See this post on page one: viewtopic.php?p=5551705#p5551705
Elango

Post by Elango »

Pius wrote:The problem to restore old bookmarks in the JSON format to FF is quite wellknown here. As we're waiting for this annoying bug to be fixed it would be interesting to know how one may open these files and read their content, thus being able too see the weblinks. I have a JSON file of 165kb that I would like to explore. Question then is: anyone knows how to do this? Thanks for helping replies.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

quitely crying

Post by quitely crying »

Copy all the bookmark JSON/ Html files to a folder on the desk top, - select a later bookmark {before the previous Firefox was installed} Use firefox to open the file-bookmark the open page and name it as Alterna said " javascript:(function(){var E=document.getElementsByTagName('PRE')[0],T=E.innerHTML,i=0,r1,r2;t=new Array();while(/("uri":"([^"]*)")/g.exec(T)){r1=RegExp.$1;r2=RegExp.$2;if(/^https?:/.exec(r2)){t[i++]='['+(i)+']:<a href='+r2+'>'+r2+'<\/a>';}}with(window.open().document){for(i=0;t[i];i++)write(t[i]+'<br>');close();}})(); " minus the " " marks ^_^ uninstall Firefox- install the newest version and it restored my Bookmarks

I do not understand what I have to do to get my bookmarks back.

Can someone explain please?

So a non-native speaker and non-computer savvy person can understand how to get 2 years of research back?
Platon_

Post by Platon_ »

Darkshadow10

Post by Darkshadow10 »

I have the same problem
jpcarb

Post by jpcarb »

This GD Mozilla!! It is always asking to update. This last time it completely became some sort of Yahoo monster and dumped everyone of my many bookmarks. I saved them awhile ago just in case but now I see it is in a format that will not open. It left me with 30 bookmarks all headed by Yahoo. Lost all my used toolbars what a mess. Google Chrome here I come !!!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

"We'" really don't care which browser you use.
This is a "user to user" help site & not associated to Mozilla.com/.org at all, at all, at all. :)
Locking this oldie.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)