How to open/read JSON (Firefox bookmarks) files

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Pius

Re: How to open/read JSON (Firefox bookmarks) files

Post by Pius »

alterna wrote:You get that when open a bookmarks.json file in your browser!!

Forget the programmer....you need an exorcist. :shock:

Yeah LOL!
Pius

Post by Pius »

Anyone who knows how to repair/restore a JSON file may contact me.

** e-mail address removed by moderator **
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I removed your e-mail address because we do not give email support. To do so would deprive other users of the information offered in a response to your topic. More importantly, spammers harvest email addresses from public forums like this.
Pius

Post by Pius »

Sure, I understand that, spamming is a common prob on forums.

Is it possible to contact member account holders?
alterna

Post by alterna »

Register, then as member you can pm (private message) through the button to left under avatar.

But........as for discussions of Firefox help , Daifne's signature says it all

Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
"So it goes" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Pius

Post by Pius »

OK, alterna. Said and done.

Request still stands. Anyone who know how to fix corrupt JSON files, pls get in touch.

Thanks.

PS. This IS a mysterious mess up.
SuzNYC

Post by SuzNYC »

ruh-roh. So you're telling me that I backed up my doctoral thesis bookmarks to my external hard drive and yet there is no way to OPEN the files and read them?!?!?!?!?! Since I need a back up that I can "retrieve", do you suggest backing up somewhere else as well? Thanks everyone! Sign me Tech Newbie...
apxm

Post by apxm »

Read this thread from the beginning. If the file is not corrupt, there are many ways to read it. However, backing up to HTML format as well is an extremely wise precaution. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Export_bookmarks
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

SuzNYC wrote:... do you suggest backing up somewhere else as well?

Export HTML... and you'll have a bookmarks.html fire that can Imported into most any browser (bookmarks.html is the un-official bookmarks/favorites interchange standard most browsers use) or you can open that file in any browser and view just like you view a webpage. File > Open File... to open an HTML file that is on your hard disk.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
petronas

Post by petronas »

Rename the .JSON file to .ZIP file and open with winZip or WinRar.
petronas

Post by petronas »

Please disregard message above, I was mistaken.

Sorry.
The Happiest Kid This Morning

Post by The Happiest Kid This Morning »

OMG- ALTERNA Thank You- you helped save my live- so many assignments and music lost-
PIUS- maybe this will help--- I've been trying things all evening-
Copy all the bookmark JSON/ Html files to a folder on the desk top, - select a later bookmark {before the previous Firefox was installed} Use firefox to open the file-bookmark the open page and name it as Alterna said " javascript:(function(){var E=document.getElementsByTagName('PRE')[0],T=E.innerHTML,i=0,r1,r2;t=new Array();while(/("uri":"([^"]*)")/g.exec(T)){r1=RegExp.$1;r2=RegExp.$2;if(/^https?:/.exec(r2)){t[i++]='['+(i)+']:<a href='+r2+'>'+r2+'<\/a>';}}with(window.open().document){for(i=0;t[i];i++)write(t[i]+'<br>');close();}})(); " minus the " " marks ^_^ uninstall Firefox- install the newest version and it restored my Bookmarks YAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If not Keep trying- I had done numerous Guarantee fixes before finding this page ^_^
wokami

Post by wokami »

In my bookmarksbackup catalog under profiles I have 6 "bookmarks-2009-xx-xx.json" files
each from a different day from the last 6 days. Each has the same size of 770 kB.
Do I need all six or is only the last one needed ?

Regards
Wolf

Post by Guest »

alterna wrote:You ARE working with a .json file, yes?

BTW an image of what? The Virgin Mary? :)

You should just get a long line starting with something like

Code: Select all

{"title":"","id":1,"dateAdded":1222235886083009,"lastModified":1223244020340428,"type":"text/x-moz-place-container","root".........................

Hey by me
i have the same problem but i stopped here. After that "save page as" i have only the *txt option. What have i do?