Why does Java take so long to load?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

It will free more RAM for other applications to use (the tweak only applies to memory cache); it should improve performance. If not I don't know what you should do...except perhaps to use K-Meleon instead of Firefox.
tomdkat

Post by tomdkat »

Ok, fair enough. Consdering he's only got 64MB of RAM, I'm thinking his best option is to investigate some kind of RAM upgrade to give his system some "breathing room". :)

Peace...
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

I had 512MB of RAM and a P4-M 2GHz proc, and on both Windows and Linux the first time load of Java 1.4.2_03 takes approxmiately six seconds, and locks up Firefox until it is finished.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
dlearner

Post by dlearner »

I'm Running Win 98 SE with a P3 and using Sun JRE 1.4.2_05

BUT....

Hey;kick up your RAM !

It purs on 256 MB

Running Firefox and JRE plus background AV / AT software ?

Firewall too ?

64 MB RAM ain't going to stretch too far.;especially if you're an active fella; with Windows holding recent dll's in memory for too bloody long !

Anyway;I'm no guru. Just "dlearner" who is learning a fair whack about the bloody freezes and crashes and the dreaded blue screen.

You could try uninstall/reinstall java as well.Here's the link to Sun JRE 1.4.2_05 :

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.htmll
dlearner

Post by dlearner »

P.S :

As " TheOneKEA " mentioned about "lock up" above.

I have similar when the JRE loads,but it's fine after that.

As previously mentioned;a heap of I.E. is preloaded on boot including ( I think ) the MS runtime stuff.
d00gs

Post by d00gs »

Try disabling the Java console and the System Tray icon in the Control Panel.
The sooner you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up.
valerij_rozouvan

Post by valerij_rozouvan »

I just turned off mine
Windows 98; Mozilla 1.7.1; Firefox 0.9.2; Thunderbird 0.7.2
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Leroi : adjusting those settings for FireFox has nothing to with Java Load Time....

The major problem is the 64 mb of RAM he has and the p450.
actually enabling conservative swapfile usage on Win98 is recommended.

Also as far as i know IE is /will be using Sun's Java....

the Icon/Console has no effect on loading time.

If Quicklaunch is available in FireFox enable it, that should speed up loading (i don't use Java or Quicklaunch so i never tried)
user_pref("browser.turbo.enabled", true);
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

I wouldn't think with 64MB RAM conservative swapfile use would be advisable. In Cacheman's help it states not to use it without at least 256MB RAM.

I have recommended Cacheman to many many people, and of course I always tell them to only use its' settings and not its' memory recovery "features" (background process and to not allow it to load at startup).

I can't tell you how many "thank yous" I have received because of improved performance on 9x systems even with moderate amounts of RAM.

Post by Guest »

LeRoi,

I have set my Cacheman to boot on startup on my Win 98 256 MB RAM.

I haven't experienced any problems with that.Only when I "overtweaked" ;-]

I find that the Cacheman start-up on boot installs the icon in system tray,which I configured to RAM usage,finding it a handy memory usae indication.,
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

I think you would like it even better if you didn't allow it to load at startup. You can use MaxMem (very low resource and memory usage) as a meter, but set the memory recovery "feature" very low (1%) and it's a great meter. I think memory recovery features are "snake oil", but setting your caches so they are more efficient and enabling "unload dlls from memory" (in the Cacheman GUI) are good performance tweaks. Depending on amount of RAM, so is enabling conservative swapfile use (no less than 256MB!).

System Downloads : MaxMem /// AnalogX

I think you could put a shortcut to MaxMem in your startup folder if you wish it load then.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

LeRoi wrote:I wouldn't think with 64MB RAM conservative swapfile use would be advisable.
You are correct.
I was referring to a general rule ( minimum RAM amount of 128) and I should have been clearer.
shelley666

Re: Why does Java take so long to load?

Post by shelley666 »

well i 'm trying to download java and instead of the time it takes to download going down its going up it started at 3osec's and is now at 11hrs 22sec's i mean what the heck is going on ?????
James

Re: Why does Java take so long to load?

Post by James »

Maybe your connection is being affected or connected to a slow server.

Locking due to being ancient, 2004.