"Document contains no data" - THE SOLUTION

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Spike0xFF

Post by Spike0xFF »

Hi YrbkMrg - Thanks! I read post #1 - what firewall? The router firewall isn't application specific, and lets IE traffic through fine. HTTP is HTTP isn't it? ZA Pro is configured to trust firefox, client only, not server. I also tried shutting down ZA - no change.

But I had to edit my earlier post because I found that FF was *working* on my laptop, and that IE 6 was timing out on my desktop. The laptop goes through an Apple wifi thing to get to my router, so that should mean my router settings aren't the problem. Both IE and FF fail (consistently, not intermittently) to fetch back pages, only from nytimes.com, and only on my desktop. I think I've ruled out NAV and ZA, short of actually uninstalling them. So... it's just a simple DLL or registry problem! Ugh.
_/\_
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

Spike - the "post #1" comment was for the guy above you. He set his firewall to allow Mozilla.com. I was telling him to set it to allow FF to access the internet. I just did two replies in one, so that part wasn't intended for you <smile>.
The nice thing about standards in computing is that there are so many from which to choose.
vbh

"document contains no data" but page loads

Post by vbh »

Please explain; clarify; help:

I frequently get a "document contains no data" message over a newly loaded page - where as far as I can tell the page is complete.
I click "ok" and then am able to read the page behind the error message.

What gives?

Thanks.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

See post number 1.

What information can you tell us?
The nice thing about standards in computing is that there are so many from which to choose.
RBurgess50

CACHE SETTINGS MISSING! VERY Serious problem.

Post by RBurgess50 »

What is happening is that you are getting a blank page left in cache (or even worse, OLD DATA and not knowing it).

Almost all other browsers (even IE - eeeuuu) allow you to change your cache settings to FORCE the browser to check for newer pages in a variety of ways such as "EVERYTIME you visit the page" - "once each day" - "once per session" - "On Thursdays after 2 beers" etc. etc. etc. (you get the point, I think).

For SOME reason, this CRITICAL SETTING is missing in Firefox. WE NEED IT VERY BADLY!
Maybe I just can't find it... I have looked and looked and looked but it isn't there - maybe... is it?.

I want to use FF -- in fact, I want to move my whole company over to FF (and my family and my little dog, Toto, too), but I can't change to FF without this VERY important cache setting. I can't make it our primary browser without this setting because there are certain sites where must check the server for the latest pages EVERYTIME "NON-FAIL" (we simply can't depend on proxys and caching hardware boxes to do their jobs correctly for misison critical data! - And I can't depend on people hitting REFRESH a few times and "praying" they have the latest page. That is just no good. I need to KNOW (for a fact) that the browser IS checking it each time.

This is causing a lot of grief out here (as you ALL are discovering right now!). That's why you're here!! I even heard a rumor that Kim Kamando is going to send viscious hit squads of "New users" to "visit" your coders and have a little "chat" with them... OK, maybe not (I said it was a rumnor...). But I was so desparate that I waited on hold to ask HER if SHE knew where these VERY IMPORTANT cache settings were located in FF (after all, she IS recommending FF to the world - right?). She hung up on me... (the show ended and I was still on hold... no answer there, I'm afraid!).

The NY Times doesn't depend on this ability, but I have noticed that when I visit the Times, I had to set it to "CHECK EACH PAGE EVERYTIME" or at least "ONCE EACH SESSION" to get the most recent pages from them (this is in Netscape 7.1 and also in 7.2). I'm willing to bet they have one of those fancy $20K super-duper server cache hardware boxes and it is "HELPING" all of us to get the data faster... (thanks... we either get NO data, or we get OLD data a WHOLE LOT faster now!).

They may set a page to expire (which tells the browser to go all the way to the server to get the latest copy), BUT, it may not be your browser that is caching the OLD page data to begin with - it can also be your 50 cent firewall helping you out ("thanks again!") - OR, your advanced Interent SPEED UP utility is helping you out, or a "caching router" in between you and the server is handing you garbage over and over until you hit REFRESH once or twice.

We can't have a browser that we have to hit refesh (once or twice) on every page to make sure it is the latest data... that will NOT do.

My point here is that ALL the other browsers allow you to change cache settings to FORCE the browser to check the page on the server for a newer version in a variety of ways. WHY DEOS FireFox NOT HAVE THIS CAPABILITY? It is critical (did I say that already?)

WE NEED THIS SETTING VERY BADLY -- HELP US, OBIWAN! PROTECT US FROM "EYE BULGING REDMONDIAN MONEY SUCKING MONSTER.... Maybe the setting is really there and I just can't find it. Does anyone know where it is (if it IS in FF?)?

Even IE has it... (oh yeah.. it does) - and I haven't used IE in years. Of course, I don't get adware or trojans or viruses from web sites either! - THANK YOU MOZILLA!!!!!!!!! (WHO LUVZ YA BABY!! WE DO!) -- But you MUST help us on this one, and SOON).

I want to move from NS 7.2 and Moz 1.7 to the NEW FF (and TBird too), but there is NO WAY I can move without the ability to change these cache settngs easily. This is critical! (did I say that already???)

MANY THANKS,
R. Burgess
in Sunny Florida (wishing I was runnnig FF right now.... snif...)

Post by Guest »

My system uses McAfee Enterprise VirusScan and I have included firefox.exe as allowed process in the outbound list. I am still getting a "document contains no data" message. However, when I turn off the On Access Scan feature of McAfee, I can browse the internet.

Any ideas on how to allow Firefox to access the internet from McAfee?

Thanx.
nycmstar

Post by nycmstar »

If you have Norton installed it often is responsible for blocking access to nytimes.com Web site. In addition:

1. Are you running any ad-blocking software? If so it may be interfering with some or the regular pages and blocking them. Try disabling it and then try to access the web site again.

2) Do you have Proxies Enabled? Try disabling Proxies and try it again.

3) In Mozilla or Firefox, have you installed any new Themes? If so you could try deleting your Profile and start fresh... see if that helps.
newfish2

Empty Pages

Post by newfish2 »

I recently installed Firefox on a P4 1.7 / 512 Mb RAM / Windows XP pro SP2.
I'm still on a dial-up connection and am using AVG virus software.
I can open web-pages no problem for round about 5 minutes, after which no matter where I point my browser, a blank page is displayed and the word 'Done' appears at the bottom of the browser window. I have turned off my Firewall, toggled the IPv6 setting in about:config, checked with my ISP at their end and still have the same problem.
Is there something I'm missing?
Thanks,
Ian.
tazzboy77

Post by tazzboy77 »

I get this error when I try logging on to web forum like this one and Peavey amp forum. I did what the instruction were posted on here to do, but so far no luck
Brent
jonlowy

I have the exact same bizarre problem!

Post by jonlowy »

Spike0xFF wrote:I get "document contains no data" in FF1.0 whenever I try to follow a link off the main page of nytimes.com. I am a subscriber to NY Times online. Problem does not occur on other websites! The about:config network.dns.ipv4OnlyDomains fix given above doesn't help me. I'm running Windows XP Pro, Norton AV, ZoneAlarm Pro, through a Linksys BEFSR41 and DSL modem. I've purged the cache, disabled NAV, shut down ZA.

OMG. I have the exact same issue on both my Mac and my PC. When I plug my iBook directly into the DSL modem, no problem. What do we have in common? I have the same Linksys router (BEFSR41 V3). So what is it about this router and nytimes.com pages??? No clue. I wonder if the Times recently changed something?
maxicomm

'Document Contains NO Data' - Pop up

Post by maxicomm »

Hi,

Been suffering from this malady of late so have followed the instructions in the post and done the about:config changes etc.

Am using Agnitum OUtpost Firewall, ver 2.1.303.4009 9314) which has Firefox set as a fully trusted App.

Am also running, AVG 7.0 Professional Anti-virus software

Perhaps someone can throw a little light onto the situation please as it only seemed to start about 1 week ago.

Have not installed any new software.

Cheers

Jeff
imingod

having similar problems -- please help!

Post by imingod »

Before I begin, here are some of my specs:

WinXP, SP2, using AntiVir software, NO firewall (unless XP's is working in the background unbeknownst to me, but I don't think so). Variety of anti-spyware software. FF 1.0.1. IE 6.0.2900.xxxxxxxxx (please continue reading to see why I included that).

I just started having this problem over the weekend. It seems to have started just after we replaced our router -- we swapped out a Linksys BEFW11S4v4 (wireless-B) with a Netgear MR814v2 (wireless-G). My desktop is wired to the router. However, the problem is not limited to Firefox -- I'm having similar problems with IE, Opera, and AvantBrowser (I'm trying everything here!).

Most of the time I get the "document contains no data" popup. However, sometimes I get this message on the page:

Net Reset Error

Offline Error
The document contains no data.

The address (URL) is not a valid format and cannot be read. A typical address will start with "http://", followed by an address, (e.g. www.netscape.com), followed by a path to the content (or just "/"). A common cause for the problem is using backslashes(\) instead of forward slashes (/).

The file specified by the address (URL) cannot be found. Check that the file exists and that you have sufficient permissions to view it.

The address (URL) does not correspond to a known site and could not be loaded. This could be due to a misspelling in the address or because the site does not exist. If the address is known to be valid, or if the problem occurs for many sites, it may be an issue with your proxy service (if you use one) or the directory name service lookup. In such cases you should consult your system documentation, administrator or Internet Service Provider (ISP) as appropriate for further assistance.

The address (URL) starts with a protocol that is not recognized by the browser. A protocol is the part at the front of the address, such as http: or ftp: which tells the browser how to connect to the site. In this instance, the protocol is unknown so loading cannot continue. Check that the address is correct before retrying.

The browser was unable to connect to the specified site, even though it exists. This may be because the site does not accept connections from your computer, the service may be down, or the site does not support the service or port that you tried to connect to.

The browser timed out while trying to connect to the specified site. The site may be experiencing high loads that are slowing it down, or network problems are preventing data from being received from it in a timely manner. If the site is likely to be busy, consider waiting a few moments before retrying the request.

The browser has stopped a connection because the site is redirecting requests to itself in a manner which prevents it from ever completing.

The site responded to the network request in an unexpected manner. This may be due to address (URL) using the wrong protocol for the specified port, or a non-standard configuration on the site which is running different services than expected.

The link to the site was dropped unexpectedly while negotiating a connection or transferring data. This may be due to a network fault somewhere between the site and your computer. If the problem persists, consult your system documentation, administrator or Internet Service Provider (ISP) as appropriate for further assistance.

The browser is currently offline and cannot connect to the requested site. Place your browser in online mode before trying again.

Try again

That's odd. When I copy/paste the text from the browser, it pastes about 5 times as long as the message appears on the screen. The message in the browser window only shows this:

Net Reset Error

The document contains no data.

The link to the site was dropped unexpectedly while negotiating a connection or transferring data. This may be due to a network fault somewhere between the site and your computer. If the problem persists, consult your system documentation, administrator or Internet Service Provider (ISP) as appropriate for further assistance.

Try again

Hope that's clear. I'm having problems with lots of sites. But it's somewhat inconsistent. Sometimes I can send an email (webmail.juno.com and webmail.mail.gatech.edu), other times I can't. Sometimes I'll view some messages, reply to one, view some more, and then it will time out when I try to reply to a second. Once, after not being able to send an email, I reset the router and it then worked, only to resume having the same old problems within a minute or two.

I have cleared the cache.

In IE, I'm having very similar problems, though it of course gives the "The page cannot be displayed" message. Opera and Avant: similar problems.

Having problems with NYTimes, like many others. Again, problems are inconsistent. A few minutes ago I was able to pull up the following page in FF by just pasting in the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/27/inter ... dutch.html

Then, though, when I tried to continue to the "second page" of the article (link near the bottom), I got the Net Reset Error... again. Now, I past the above URL in FF and can't even get the first page! Can't search their archives successfully, etc.

I can't even get www.ebay.com!

Sorry to run so long, but an added twist: Earlier today my laptop was having similar problems (XP SP1, running ZoneAlarm, accessing via wireless). Now, my laptop's working like a charm while my desktop is performing as bad as ever!

No one else on our house network is having these problems (up to 7 other comps., depending on who's got their laptops on).

Any help will be greatly appreciated! This is driving me batty!

Regards,
Michael Tashman
michael.tashman@juno.com

P.S. I wasn't even able to post to this forum from my desktop! I had to use a flash drive and do this from my laptop.

Post by Guest »

I'm using Panda Platinum Internet Security 8.05.02, and I get this error message occasionally when I use either Firefox or Netscape 7.2.
imingod

Re: "Document contains no data" - THE SOLUTION

Post by imingod »

Filipp0s -- thanks for the advice, but this doesn't really seem to address the problem. I think the primary issue for most of us (at least, for me anyway) is not so much whether this message appears as a pop-up or "in-browser" message, but simply the fact that we cannot navigate to these web pages. This is affecting our ability to surf the web in very routine ways (replying to emails, accessing the 2nd page in a NY Times article, even posting to this forum, etc.). Causing the message to appear in the window rather than as a pop-up still leaves us with the problem.

I know you're doing the best you can, and I'm not trying to get on your case. I'm just trying to call attention to the fact that many of us seem to have a pretty serious browsing problem which so far has not been addressed by these forums. Some have been helped by the proposed fixes, but I (and it appears many others) are still having no luck even after trying the about:config changes, firewall/adaware/pop-up blocker/antivirus/etc./etc. checks that have been proposed.

Any additional help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers and thanks,
Michael

Filipp0s wrote:To stop this pop-up message, and display the error on the page itself:
a. Type about:config in the location bar
b. Look for the line browser.xul.error_pages.enabled
c. Change its value to true

If this message appears always, make sure your firewall isn't blocking Firefox from accessing the internet.

If this happens occasionally:
  • To prevent the annoying pop-up from appearing follow the instructions at the top of this post.
  • Older versions of the Panda Antivirus often cause this problem; read how to fix.
  • Peer Guardian might be the problem; remove it and use an alternative product.

If you still have questions, reply to this post and don't forget to tell what firewall and what antivirus you use.
webcrawler

Post by webcrawler »

I'm getting this problem with a v.92 52000 Kbps connection to Netscape Internet Service (Really AOL) using their remote accelerator. Anti-Vir personal and ZoneAlarm Free. In my case, it also seems to be a timeout thing. What bothers me is that I'm timing out, not that I'm getting the message.

I think I may have my TCP/IP tuned too high, or it's a problem on the ISP/accelerator's end.

Steve
::sGn::