"Document contains no data" - THE SOLUTION

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Uli_Gebhardt

Post by Uli_Gebhardt »

Uli_Gebhardt wrote:Turning off the On Access Scan may work, but it can't be the final solution. [...]
Does anybody know a better solution?

I have registered now, so you can also contact me via PM.

Post by Guest »

I have experienced ALL of the above problems and the simple solution seems to be...hold the curser on the site you wish to visit for an inordinately long time!!! It works. Given that I am not computer literate many of the solutions presented leave me with 'Alzeimers' type problems!!!!!
jungwyou

nytimes.com

Post by jungwyou »

Somebody out there if they have a solution to this time out issue with ONLY nytimes.com, please help, it's driving me absolutely nuts. On both IE and Firefox , internal links for nytimes.com simply won't work for me. PLEASE HELP!!!
jungwyou

Post by jungwyou »

I"VE GOT THE SOLUTION TO THE NYTIMES PROBLEM FOR THOSE WITH LINKSYS ROUTERS!!! WOOHOOOOOOOO

To fix this bitchass of a problem, simply do the following:

1. go to linksys setup page at http://192.168.1.1/
2. check to see if DNS server settings have been entered (mine wasn't)
3. enter your ISP's primary and secondary DNS servers
4. Save.

Try it now. Nytimes should work like a charm. It did for me after this fix.

Post by Guest »

chrome://global/content/netError.xhtml?e=netReset&u=http%3A//www.ebay.com/&d=The%20document%20contains%20no%20data.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ that URL is url that is displayed when i try to access www.ebay.com

I was just getting the Document contains no data. popup error until i fixed those lines to true in the about:config file. Now im getting this error:
Net reset error
The document contains no data.
The link to the site was dropped unexpectedly while negotiating a connection or transferring data. This may be due to a network fault somewhere between the site and your computer. If the problem persists, consult your system documentation, administrator or Internet Service Provider (ISP) as appropriate for further assistance.
key88sf

Post by key88sf »

Logout of the NYTimes.com site. The problem only appears to be happening to logged-in users of the site.
downboy

Post by downboy »

i can browse all the sites that you all seem to have problems with. the only time i get this is when i'm sending an email with an attachment from yahoo mail or gmail. then, it's every time. i cannot send attachments. a text only email also takes quite a long time. note, this is only happening from one machine on the network (xp home sp2) and happens with both ie 6 and ff 1.

Post by Guest »

keep getting a stupid error randomly some days no prob other day repeativly!

MS Webmail Document Contains No Data Message

Post by Guest »

I have tried the fixes above, but still unable to access any data from MS Exchange Webmail Server. The browser.dns etc fix only makes it worse, because the message then appears in the browser and not in a popup. Ihave all firewalls disabled, both McAfee and Windows. I even stopped the windows firewall service in XP. IE displays the pages and reads the messages fine. Is it a plot by Microsoft???
troubleatt'mill

Post by troubleatt'mill »

Filipp0s wrote:To stop this pop-up message, and display the error on the page itself:
a. Type about:config in the location bar
b. Look for the line browser.xul.error_pages.enabled
c. Change its value to true

Hi. Tried that - no luck.. disabled Zonealarm, still no good. I run Spybot about weekly.
Same site (ebay.co.uk) unavailable through IE6.

I've also set up new profile in FF - still no luck.

Can't even load http://support.microsoft.com/ (yeah, yeah, I know...)

Using Actiontec 36VXWS wireless dsl gateway, if that's significant (clutching at straws, here...)

Any ideas?
Cheers
Andy
jm1515

Re: CACHE SETTINGS MISSING! VERY Serious problem.

Post by jm1515 »

RBurgess50 wrote:What is happening is that you are getting a blank page left in cache (or even worse, OLD DATA and not knowing it).

Almost all other browsers (even IE - eeeuuu) allow you to change your cache settings to FORCE the browser to check for newer pages in a variety of ways such as "EVERYTIME you visit the page" - "once each day" - "once per session" - "On Thursdays after 2 beers" etc. etc. etc. (you get the point, I think).

For SOME reason, this CRITICAL SETTING is missing in Firefox. WE NEED IT VERY BADLY!
Maybe I just can't find it... I have looked and looked and looked but it isn't there - maybe... is it?.

I want to use FF -- in fact, I want to move my whole company over to FF (and my family and my little dog, Toto, too), but I can't change to FF without this VERY important cache setting. I can't make it our primary browser without this setting because there are certain sites where must check the server for the latest pages EVERYTIME "NON-FAIL" (we simply can't depend on proxys and caching hardware boxes to do their jobs correctly for misison critical data! - And I can't depend on people hitting REFRESH a few times and "praying" they have the latest page. That is just no good. I need to KNOW (for a fact) that the browser IS checking it each time.

This is causing a lot of grief out here (as you ALL are discovering right now!). That's why you're here!! I even heard a rumor that Kim Kamando is going to send viscious hit squads of "New users" to "visit" your coders and have a little "chat" with them... OK, maybe not (I said it was a rumnor...). But I was so desparate that I waited on hold to ask HER if SHE knew where these VERY IMPORTANT cache settings were located in FF (after all, she IS recommending FF to the world - right?). She hung up on me... (the show ended and I was still on hold... no answer there, I'm afraid!).
{major snippage}

I want to move from NS 7.2 and Moz 1.7 to the NEW FF (and TBird too), but there is NO WAY I can move without the ability to change these cache settngs easily. This is critical! (did I say that already???)

MANY THANKS,
R. Burgess
in Sunny Florida (wishing I was runnnig FF right now.... snif...)

Hey R....

In the interest of bandwith preservation I snipped most of you bloviating, but check out

about:config: browser:cache.check_doc_frequency.

Do a search of this forum and I think you will find the answers to your crisis...
jmagda
Deep in the OH wasteland...
valleydriver

"Document Contains No Data"

Post by valleydriver »

greetings,
i've found the FAQ answer.

did the 'line' switch from 'false' to 'true.' still having the pop-up window appear

Max OSX 10.3.8 / no firewall

this has happened in the past 24 hours.

a parallel symptom is that pages a taking 'ages' to be rendered.

e.g., i read tomorrow's NY Times late in the evening PDT. last night the rendering worked fine. tonight it took much, much longer. (i didn't get the pop-up window - 'No Data.')

i'm wondering if i accidentally screwed up a setting. no new software installed or updated. the slow rendering is happening with Bookmarked sites that worked fine yesterday.

any ideas?

thanks,
ValleyDriver
mikeinva

relative URLs/links don't work

Post by mikeinva »

Anonymous wrote:I found that websites that have links like href="/somewhere/somepage.html" instead of href="http://domain.com/somewhere/somepage.html" give "contains no data" errors in Mozilla

Specifically, I have a problem with the following:
Main page:

http://www.brycsoccer.org/Forms/index_E.html

"Liability and Coduct" link in main text section of page (not in left hand column)

<A href="\docs\Forms\brycliabilityandconductform.pdf">

resolves to
http://www.brycsoccer.org/Forms/\docs\Forms\brycliabilityandconductform.pdf
in FF 1.0.2, XP SP2

but it resolves correctly to

http://www.brycsoccer.org/docs/Forms/br ... ctform.pdf
in IE6
mikeinva

Post by mikeinva »

non working link is

A href="\docs\Forms\brycliabilityandconductform.pdf"> (intentionally missing initial greater than)

(forum took HTML and made link for "resolves to" in my last post)
valleydriver

Post by valleydriver »

in regard to my question above - 'document contains no data.'

it turns out this was probably the result of a dying/deal Airport Extreme router.

this is something i never even thought about checking until i contacted by cable modem provider, who suggested it.

cheers,
ValleyDriver