Content Encoding Error

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
reconski

Content Encoding Error

Post by reconski »

When I try to access a couple different websites I get an error. This is really important I figure this out, I need to be able to do my school work! This is the error that pops up:

Content Encoding Error

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.

* Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

When I try to use Internet Explorer it just comes up saying it can not display the web page. Here is a couple of websites that It will not work for me:
http://www.csn.edu/
http://www.simnetonline.com/

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I am running the newest of IE and Mozilla Firefox. Please contact me if you need more information about how I am set up etc....

Please help!!! ](*,)
RobertJ

Re: Content Encoding Error

Post by RobertJ »

I can view both of those sites using FF3.0.6
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Both pages work fine here.

Sometimes site-specific problems can be fixed by removing your cookies for that site and clearing your cache (already-downloaded copies of the page files).

Menu path:
[In Windows]: Tools | Options , or
[In Mac]: Firefox | Preferences , or
[In *nix]: Edit | Preferences

Clear cookies:
Privacy | Show Cookies - remove cookies (from the problem site only)

Clear cache:
Advanced | Network | Clear Now
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
reconski

Post by reconski »

ok, I have cleared the cookies and cleared the cache, then restarted the computer. When I was in the US it worked just fine for me. I am now overseas and the same computer same everything and it is not working. Could it be the internet provider or IP address that I am assigned or using that those websites wont allow me to use?
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

What country are you in? Do you have problems with other sites in the US?
reconski

Post by reconski »

I am in Sudan. These are the only sites that I have had problems with so far. I have accessed gmail, google, msn, facebook, myspace, amazon, ebay, and many more and these are the only two sites that I have problems with. I started looking up proxy servers and found http://www.fsurf.com and it allows me to open the page (sort of) dont have full access to my classes because they use a pop up. So I am wondering if it has to do with where I am located and the internet service I use. When I first got over here and got on the internet, when I went to google..it came up as google Israel. Any ideas suggestions? or questions?
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

I can only speculate. The fact that your are in the Sudan and you see this
invalid or unsupported form of compression.

suggests to me that to save cost in linking to the larger Internet that the carrier from your location to a port with more bandwidth is using compression to cut cost and/or support more traffic. I would also speculate that the reason the other sites work is that they are more popular and the carrier may be doing local caching.

In looking at the response headers from your two sites I see this Cache-Control=private

Cache-Control=private indicates that the response message is intended for a single user and MUST NOT be cached by a shared cache. If the carrier depends heavily on caching because of bandwidth limitations, there is likely nothing you can do about it.

Note that the sites you mentioned that work DO NOT USE Cache-Control=private.

reconski

Post by reconski »

GOOD NEWS!!!!!
Thank you for your help!!! I downloaded and started using www.gotrusted.com I am using the 7 day free trial right now...but it is not allowing me to use those websites. I am not sure why but it works. I am able to attend my online classes. It will cost me a monthly fee. If anyone knows of a free program that does the same as this I would appreciate it, if not the 5.99 a month is not a big deal to be able to get my school work done!

Thanks for all of your support!
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

reconski wrote:I downloaded and started using http://www.gotrusted.com I am using the 7 day free trial right now...but it is not allowing me to use those websites.

I am not sure why but it works. I am able to attend my online classes.

It will cost me a monthly fee. If anyone knows of a free program that does the same as this I would appreciate it, if not the 5.99 a month is not a big deal to be able to get my school work done!

Thanks for all of your support!

Slightly confused by your two statements underlined above. Just trying to understand so I can add the solution to my "bag of knowledge".

I'm guessing that when you starting using gotrusted which provides an encrypted tunnel, the ISP could no longer compress your transmissions. However your statement "I am using the 7 day free trial right now...but it is not allowing me to use those websites" would seem to say the opposite.

Thanks in advance for clarifying.

reconski

Post by reconski »

I apologize I meant to say that it was allowing me to use the sites. It works, not sure why but it is allowing me to do everything I need to do.

Thanks
jimmychoo

Post by jimmychoo »

I had a similar problem and deleting the cookies and clearing the cache fixed it thanks for the advice!

Post by Guest »

Clearing the cache will not solve the error.
Instead, clearing "network.http.accept-encoding" (i.e. setting it from "gzip,deflate" to "") resolves the problem.

Going to investigate this in more detail.

nickles
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Thanks for the reply but after nearly a year, I doubt whether the OP is still monitoring this thread.
Locking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)