Can't open messages in Hotmail

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Satsumomo

Re: Can't open messages in Hotmail

Post by Satsumomo »

This is just a stupid security feature that doesn't work correctly. I really hope MS let's us choose to enable this 'feature' or not. I can access my account fine on IE 7, but not on Firefox. It's being overly protective for stupid people who can't keep their information secure.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Are you trying to view hotmail as webmail? It should work fine. Clear your cache. Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> Network, Clear Now button.

If you are still having problems delete any cookies that have to do with the site. Tools --> Options --> Privacy, Show Cookies button

If you are not using Windows see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_differen ... x,_and_Mac
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
ffuser4455

Post by ffuser4455 »

For most people, clearing the cache simply doesn't work... Why do some people assume that others are not bright enough to know how to clear their cache? For the vast majority getting this message, clearing the cache and refreshing the page would have been the first thing they tried (after all, that's what the error message tells them to do!!!). So, PLEASE, can people stop condescendingly telling people to clear their cache, with noob-proof instructions!

This is very obviously a web script error that needs fixing by M$... in the meantime, the "Options>More Options>Go to Inbox" workaround mentioned earlier, can be used effectively.
SLLANO

Post by SLLANO »

Mine started today, same thing with the refesh button...

Safari is not opnening hotmail at all.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Suggesting that someone clear the cache is not at all condescending. It does, in fact, clear up a good deal of problems.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
steviex

Post by steviex »

To all.....

Send an Email to MICROSOFT about this problem....
It is THEIR Website, and THEY have broken it. (It has affected the Thunderbird Webmail Addons too)

It is likely that this may be broken for many other Browsers than Firefox..... Probably those that are NOT Microsoft....
So Camino, SeaMonkey, Safari, Chrome and Opera are likely to be affected too.

Also you can go to Help > Report Broken Website and fill in the form....

Now as to the Clearing of the cache..... We always like to start with the Obvious first, before diving into the more involved solutions.
We do get users who DO NOT know what the cache and cookies ARE, let alone how to clear them...

It usually is the simplest explanation.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
guest8475

Post by guest8475 »

i was having the same problem, just changed my password and the its gone.
toffeenut

Post by toffeenut »

steviex wrote:To all.....

Send an Email to MICROSOFT about this problem....
It is THEIR Website, and THEY have broken it. (It has affected the Thunderbird Webmail Addons too)

It is likely that this may be broken for many other Browsers than Firefox..... Probably those that are NOT Microsoft....
So Camino, SeaMonkey, Safari, Chrome and Opera are likely to be affected too.

BETTER YET, USE IE! I do not encounter this issue when using other browsers 'cept for FF.
steviex

Post by steviex »

Yes, as Hotmail is a Microsoft site, it will work PERFECTLY in a Microsoft Browser. However, many Hotmail users do NOT use Windows (Me included) and do not use IE at all, so this will not work for everyone.

Something they did broke the code they send to Firefox on some servers, but not all of them (It works fine with me with Firefox on Linux).... Drop them a line, to see if they are aware of the problem.

I think this is a fix Microsoft need to do.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

toffeenut wrote:BETTER YET, USE IE! I do not encounter this issue when using other browsers 'cept for FF.

Even better use gmail with Firefox and stop pandering to Microsofts 1980s coding
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
diligentinquirer

Post by diligentinquirer »

Hmmm..http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Pl ... f&oq=&aqi=

Lots of similar probs elsewhere, eh?

Diligent.
Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread. - Alexander Pope (1688-1744)
steviex

Post by steviex »

Yep... This thread may be the most useful .... http://windowslivehelp.com/community/t/12917.aspx

One workaround suggested is to Disable AbBlock Plus while you are using Hotmail.....

diligentinquirer

Post by diligentinquirer »

I would be willing to go through this above stated hassle to help this OP, and others, by opening Hot Mail on FF. Any investigative-based suggested actions to take and do initially, to start, steviex? Anyone else?

My Best, Diligent
Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread. - Alexander Pope (1688-1744)

Post by Guest »

I started this post the other day. I updated my Java yesterday and now the problem seems to have gone away. Coincidence or a true fix? Not sure. Either way I'm back into my Hotmail and happy as a clam.
steviex

Post by steviex »

Probably a fix by Microsoft.... Or they just reverted back to the old software, until they come up with a solution....

Or maybe the mysterious, and sometimes apoplectic Mr Balmer took pity on you.... and sprinkled some of his magic dust onto the Hotmail servers... :)