How to scroll with up-down keys inside a web page window??

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
LGM

Re: How to scroll with up-down keys inside a web page window??

Post by LGM »

Littlemutt, clicking on the station ID on the left of the grid has never worked for me. Using the tab key has ... but you can get the same result quicker by simply clicking on the name of a show in the grid. Then the up-down arrow keys work.

BTW, I have IE 7 installed and it works fine by clicking anywhere in the grid.
LGM

Post by LGM »

dfoulkes wrote:Ok...here's what I just did...just now. Opened up TV guide... most was blocked by my NoScripts... I then clicked on temp. allow tvguide in my NoScripts options tab. NoScripts refreshes the page (this is normal), the page opened, I scrolled with my mouse wheel (outside the listings box) and the whole page scrolled, I then used my keyboard u/d arrows and again the whole page scrolled, I then moved the cursor over the listings window (without clicking on it at all) and my mouse wheel allowed it to scroll "without being focused first..cool!" and then I clicked on a blank white section of that listing window...my mouse wheel still worked and I used my u/d keys on my keyboard and everything worked fine :D .

Could it be you are using a mouse and I am using a trackpad? I am using a laptop with the built-in trackpad and left and right click keys. Maybe the focus function is stronger or somehow different when you use a mouse wheel?

If this started with your update to 3.07 it may be that TVguide cookies don't like it. Did you do any of the stuff I mentioned above... cookies can be killers with stuff like this.

The behavior has been the same with my previous versions of Firefox. It has been a longstanding annoyance and I just now got around to posting on this forum to see if I could find a fix.

I tried deleting all cookies for that site and running Firefox in safe mode, and no difference. Further, since it seems that Littlemut and Anonymosity are having similar Firefox behavior on that site, I don't think it is just my installation. I think it has to do with a quirky incompatibility with that website and Firefox.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I'm running on a Dell laptop with the pad and r/l click keys (and of course the mouse) and the scrolling works fine with the built in tools.

About the only thing left on my plate for you is my suggestion of setting up a new test profile.... it's real easy and does not affect your current settings or profile...but it does start fresh so it may show something. You can always delete it if it's a-no-go.

EDIT: A FYI note... I got tired of using the built in pad/buttons for navigation so I purchased the Microsoft brand "smaller than a normal one" mouse at Costco. It uses a transmitter that plugs into a USB slot and it works great... CAN'T and WON'T LIVE WITH OUT IT! :D
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
LGM

Post by LGM »

dfoulkes wrote:I'm running on a Dell laptop with the pad and r/l click keys (and of course the mouse) and the scrolling works fine with the built in tools.

I have a feeling that your external mouse is the difference. If you disable it or remove it, then reboot, I suspect you will have the same behavior with your laptop's trackpad and built-in mouse buttons that I, anonymosity, and Littlemut are having.

Remember, I am only experiencing this issue with the TV Guide site and only with Firefox (not IE 7). So I think it is just a quirky incompatibility issue with that one site and Firefox.

About the only thing left on my plate for you is my suggestion of setting up a new test profile.... it's real easy and does not affect your current settings or profile...but it does start fresh so it may show something. You can always delete it if it's a-no-go.

I did that this morning. Made no difference. I really don't think it's my installation, but rather something between firefox and that particular website.

Thanks for your suggestion of the Microsoft external mouse. However I've never liked these devices. I've always used either an external trackball device or a built-in trackpad.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Good luck... I guess if that one site is your only problem I guess you're doing OK.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Trying to Help

Post by Trying to Help »

Hey, I had the EXACT same problem as you and it annoyed me so much. What seemed to work for me was that you go to Tools ---> Options ---> Advanced and to the General tab and check "Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages" OFF! Make sure that there is no check in the box and then check "Use smooth scrolling" and when you try to scroll up and down the pages and it goes line by line or box by box, toggle with the "F7" key and you'll get it! Worked like a charm for me without having to change the keys.
T0mthab0mb

Re: How to scroll with up-down keys inside a web page window

Post by T0mthab0mb »

For anyone who didn't understand the solution. Hold TAB, then click a title. Now you can scroll with the arrows.
T0mthab0mb

Post by T0mthab0mb »

Well..... sorry, that doesn't always work. This is so frustrating!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Why bump a thread from 2009?
If you have a problem, please start a new thread.

Thanks.

Locking due to old age.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)