MozillaZine

My firefox cache gets deleted

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Warpath

Post Posted April 13th, 2009, 8:39 pm

its like everytime I restart my computer after shutting it down, my Firefox cache gets deleted and no the setting is fine, i have disabled firefox from deleting my data after i close it but it still deletes everything..does anyone know what the problem is ? Cache to me is very important since I'm on dial-up and it takes forever to load most pages nowdays..can anyone help me please?.. I did add 2 add-ons (better cache and imglikeopera) to help me with cache but they just won't reload and became problematic so pliz no add-on suggestions..I really need help on this ..please :(
Last edited by Warpath on April 19th, 2009, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pkunha

Post Posted April 13th, 2009, 9:08 pm

If Firefox crashes, it will delete the cache. If you shut down the computer while Firefox is still running, that is considered a crash. Once you shut down Firefox, it may take up to a minute before it is safe to shut down the computer. If you have Zonealarm and Vista, or Zonealarm and Avast antivirus, Firefox may not shut down properly at all.

An add on :) can stop the clearing of most of the cache after a crash, Cache Fixer https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6859 , but you might have to "bump" it to get it to work in Firefox 3. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updating_add-ons

This may not be your problem if you are not having crashes. If your addons are not working properly, you probably have a corrupt profile.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox

the-edmeister

Post Posted April 13th, 2009, 9:42 pm

What are you running as far as security software? Check the settings in that program to make sure it isn't cleaning Firefox personal/private data.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

Warpath

Post Posted April 15th, 2009, 7:57 pm

i don't have an anti-virus software running, but if i ever feel something is wrong with my computer, i run Combofix to get rid off them bit thats about it, but i do have 2 utilities i use as well called , Glary's utilities and TweakXP Pro, could they be doing this ???

Warpath

Post Posted April 19th, 2009, 8:21 pm

had that problem again today, I'm really tired of this. It was fine when i was using firefox 2.0 and fine till 3.0.7 but it seems 3.0.8 has a bug of some sorts which keeps deleting cache

sorbrkab

Post Posted April 19th, 2009, 8:54 pm

If it is not crashes that are dumping your cache, and you don't think it is a cleanup program or your antivirus, then make a new profile. Backup your bookmarks first and you can restore them in the new profile. DO NOT MAKE THE PROFILE IN MYDOCUMENTS OR ON THE DESKTOP.
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+Profiles

Warpath

Post Posted April 22nd, 2009, 7:06 pm

i typed "firefox.exe -ProfileManager" in the "Run" command and it just opened a new window instead of the profile manager...should that have happened ?

Post Posted April 22nd, 2009, 8:24 pm

Firefox has to be not running before you can run the profile manager.

Warpath

Post Posted May 29th, 2009, 1:24 am

I'm really getting tired of this. it takes 10 minutes to copy cache everyday and another 10 minutes to transfer cache everyday. can someone help me with this or what?? ..i have tried everything above but its not working. just a while ago, my computer unexpectedly crashed (the cpu power line got lose) and when i restarted it i went to the cache folder copied it to another folder, started my net than restarted my browser, but when i went to check cache it got deleted, so i closed the browser, pasted the saved cache and restarted the browser and again it got deleted and i did it for the 3rd time and the same thing happened and yes all my browser settings as mentioned in the posts above are fine. I'm really getting tired of it and if IE was so virus-infused, i would have used that but since I'm on dial-up, i really need my cache and I'm really getting pissed off.. can some developer please fix this for me ?????

Warpath

Post Posted December 3rd, 2009, 7:05 pm

I still have the same problem, Now I use FF 3.5.5. I understand that firefox might crash because of an error but it doesn't mean it deletes all the cache. The only reason FF is regarded as a great browser is because of its awesome caching abilities and thus making it useful on slower net connections but if it keeps deleting cache for no reason, then that is a major flaw that needs to be looked at as soon as possible. What it should do is delete the cache it used for that session only and not the whole thing cause even if you manage to copy all the cache to another folder and then re-add it after FF has deleted it , it still doesn't read it so re-adding a copy of the cache is of no use as u can check in "about:cache" where it starts from 0 again, and disregards the cache you added. Please can someone just fix this issue of firefox?

dickvl

Post Posted December 3rd, 2009, 7:17 pm

Firefox keeps a dirty flag in the _CACHE_MAP_ file.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105843#c84

If Firefox finds that dirty flag set on a subsequent start then the cache is cleared and the current cache content is moved to a trash folder during that session and gets lost after closing.

Warpath

Post Posted December 5th, 2009, 4:41 am

how to fix the problem of the whole cache getting deleted?..is there a solution?

Post Posted December 5th, 2009, 12:34 pm

Have you installed the cache fixer extension? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6859

Warpath

Post Posted December 15th, 2009, 9:28 pm

it doesn't work for version 3.0 above :(

Post Posted December 15th, 2009, 9:30 pm

Return to Firefox Support